• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Twin 40's

James Cornell

I know this is a bit of a backward step but I am getting a little annoyed with the "charactoristics" of the injection system in my 1.9 8v gti and I was wondering if going back to a carb may be a better solution for me. I'm not fussed about big power or anything spunky like that, I just want the car to start, run and sound cool (it is plenty fast enough with a standard setup).

In my head it all makes sense because the injection system can be taken off and stored to keep the originality if I ever sell the car, the webers (if maintained) will never go down in price and it means I can sack off the injectors, AFM, SAD and (presumably) the CDI.

I know the webers can require some love and care but on the hole I know if there is an issue with ignition it is either the plugs, ht leads, dizzy or carbs...simple...I think...

I just wanted to put this out there because I am sure a lot of you have either looked into this or done it yourselves so I wanted your advice before I start buying bits

Anthony

Yes it will do what you want, assuming of course that the carbs are setup properly.

That said, the original injection system will work and behave properly if it is in good order and setup correctly. The problem is that most are not.

James Cornell

I think part of me just has a romantic attachment to carbons and I am trying to justify it to myself. Is it also true that you have to fit an aftermarket fuel regulator because the standard fuel pump is too strong for webers?

Anthony

Yes - you'll either need to install a carb specific fuel pump in place of the existing injection pump, or you can fit a couple of regulators to bring the fuel pressure down to the level required by the carbs (something around 3psi should suffice)

I've previously had a 1.6 GTi on twin 40's and it was a nice setup, driving and behaving well and even reasonably good on fuel - obviously sounded good too. I can certainly see the appeal, particularly if it's a purely "fun" car, but I reverted back to the original injection setup when I put a 1.9 engine in (and now is GTi-6 powered).

James Cornell

Do you ditch the ECU all together or does it still need to be connected? Also do you really need the SAD after the conversion as that is knackered on my car?

Anthony

Neither ECU nor SAD is needed when you move over to carbs. Indeed, everything related to the fuel injection or intake system can be ditched.

All you need to keep is the ignition side of things and the fuel pump relay and related wiring

James Cornell

Damn I have taken my AFM apart and cleaned the track which seems to have improved the fulling...this could be the end of the twin 40's dream :-(

ginger205

And here's me doing the total opposite to this, my twin 45's were a ball ache, even when I finally had them set up properly (turned out the spindle was bent due to crud on one of the bearings over the years) even then the mpg was a killer!

Unless you have a bank of carbs already it's a big investment not to inherit someone else's potential problems