• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huxley309

Dv4Ted4 Egr

huxley309

Figured this is in need of a good cleaning, as the turbo when on full boost backs off then picks up again.

It's the 1.4 16v hdi lump, in this case in a citroen C3 but common to many other cars french or otherwise.

Anyone have a good guide for taking it apart, would squirting the cleaner down the intake be sufficient?

I have a blanking plate, so plan on using this once the egf is clean then whip it off come mot day.

Does it use nothing but torx bolts?

dcc

I had similar issue with a 2.0 hdi lump, was the air flow sensor in my case

welshpug

Mot day?!

huxley309

I had similar issue with a 2.0 hdi lump, was the air flow sensor in my case

Well since I've been driving, it's gradually getting better.

Blocked egr is quite common on the C3 as many do short runs, or don't use premium diesel which they require.

As for the afm doubt it. Starts like a peach, gives excellent mpg, it's only on full boost it backs off then goes again.

To me it feels like a restriction rather than a fault.

Anyway once it's dry I'll give it a good clean, and replace the torx bolts with regular nuts.

As for the blanking plate, it's required to keep emissions down, some testers might not like it.

Edited by huxley309

Anthony

As for the blanking plate, it's required to keep emissions down, some testers might not like it.

Long time no speak stranger! :)

Remember that all a diesel has to do come MOT time is pass a basic smoke test and not have the engine management light lit. EGR, catalysts and all the other emissions oriented nonsense on modern diesels is not needed for this - it's there for the more complex approval tests that the engines need to pass for Euro 3/4/5 etc certification.

No direct experience of the DV series engines, but providing that you can blank off the EGR valve and not trigger the engine management light then there's no downsides IMO and no reason not to leave the blank in place constantly - I've blanked off the EGR on both my HDi's (DW series engine) and it's made them run cleaner, improved fuel economy and stops the inlet getting gunged up.

sickomotorsport

I have seen these engines with a blocked cat plenty of times.

huxley309

Long time no speak stranger! :)

Remember that all a diesel has to do come MOT time is pass a basic smoke test and not have the engine management light lit. EGR, catalysts and all the other emissions oriented nonsense on modern diesels is not needed for this - it's there for the more complex approval tests that the engines need to pass for Euro 3/4/5 etc certification.

No direct experience of the DV series engines, but providing that you can blank off the EGR valve and not trigger the engine management light then there's no downsides IMO and no reason not to leave the blank in place constantly - I've blanked off the EGR on both my HDi's (DW series engine) and it's made them run cleaner, improved fuel economy and stops the inlet getting gunged up.

Been a while hasn't it, gone and drove my 106 under an illegally parked lorry, lucky to have kept my head.

Nice knowing I can keep the blank in place, got a lot of plastic to whip off before I can get to it.

It just had an mot smoke was 0.19 and the limit is 0.35 iirc, like yourself i see the egr as a daft idea, choking up an already smoky engine.

Doesn't help that the previous owners were an old couple, been giving it a good Italian tune up and it's better.

Most important thing i find is to use premium diesel, cheap stuff doesn't lube anywhere as good.