• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Projectuno

Water Getting In 1991 Gti - Help!

Projectuno

I am getting water dripping from the front sunroof area.

I have completed the following so far:

- replaced sunroof handle washers with new

- removed and refitted Ariel with silicone sealant.

- compressor air line to sunroof drains (4) to check they are clear

- removed headlining and had an assistant hose the car for 5 mins on the roof to simulate biblical rainfall we have experienced the last couple of months. No signs of water.

The sunroof frame is in top condition, all four drain pipe to hose outlets are perfect.

What next?

Could it be leaking around the sunroof frame to the roof?

Edited by Projectuno

Projectuno

Sorry, forgot to say I have already removed the arial and silicone sealed that.

• Like 1

oak tree garage

hi

you could try a smear of vasaline around the rubber seal it may have gone hard over the years

farmer

As above the main sunroof rubber could be an issue.

Projectuno

I should have mentioned that I have thoroughly cleaned and then treated the seal with a rubber care product. The seal is supple.

nick205

I've had dripping from the sunroof as well and made the same checks as you. When I got in the car the other morning I slid the inner roof back and got dripped on by the condensation that had gathered on the glass. Have a check first thing and see if there's moisture on the glass.

Projectuno

OK, wanted to share the good news, the source of the leak has been identified and resolved...

I removed the three plastics surrounding the sunroof and slid the glass right back. After carefully checking, I noticed a rubber cap that surrounds the release cable was about 10mm away from the entry point to the metal sunroof surround.

I put it back in place, with a dab of silicone sealant. This explains why only monsoon like rain would cause water to get in. When the flow rate of water exiting the sunroof surround drains was exceeded, the height of this cable entry (without rubber cap seal in place) would allow a small amount of water into the car.

Rain has since fallen (hard) and car is bone dry. Pleasing.

• Like 1

mowflow

A bone dry 205. That must be a novelty.

Thanks for the update. It's one more thing for me to check as i chase all the leaks around my car.