• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Motorsport Artist

Roof Skin Replacement

Motorsport Artist

Is there anyone is the South Wales Valleys who has carried out a roof skin replacement on the 205 please? I live in Merthyr Tydfil and am currently building a fast road and track 205. I want to replace the current factory sunroofed roof with a solid item. (The finished car will have an OMP roll cage fitted). The forum articles on roof skins are helpful but as a rank amature I would really appreciate an opportunity to speak to someone who has carried out this alteration as I go. Cheers

nick205

Unless the roof is damaged would it not be a better option to remove the sunroof and fit an ally blanking plate?

Got to be easier, cheaper, quicker and less damaging to the shell overall. You could always paint it the same colour to make it less visually obvious and bond it in place rather than rivet, that would seal it as well.

There was someone on here asking if people would be interested in buying ready made blanks.

Motorsport Artist

Thanks for the response. I did consider both the sunroof blanking plate idea and replacing the sunroof glass with perspex but have been advised against both by a number of people. I don't think replacing the roof skin is particularly expensive but it is a bit of a faff. As it stands, the roof is so thin a blanking plate would probably sag in the middle! The car is going to be fully resprayed anyway so not too worried on that score. I did join the thread you mentioned for the level of interest in group buy panels but there's not really been any definitive answer. To be honest a replacement roof skin is my prefered option.

stu8v

Unless the roof is damaged would it not be a better option to remove the sunroof and fit an ally blanking plate?

Got to be easier, cheaper, quicker and less damaging to the shell overall. You could always paint it the same colour to make it less visually obvious and bond it in place rather than rivet, that would seal it as well.

There was someone on here asking if people would be interested in buying ready made blanks.

You also forgot, looks s*it and amateur ;-)

nick205

Granted it would look what it is, a blanked hole in the roof, but done well there's no reason it has to look sh1t.

Compared to the task of...

- cutting out the roof from the sunroof car

- finding and cutting out the roof of a non sunroof car making sure it's cut the same

- welding, dressing and filling it back into the sunroof car

- priming and painting inside out

I'd say blanking it properly is not a bad option at all. No structural disruption or distortion to the shell for starters.

feb

Edp had the opposite done IIRC ( non s/r to s/r) and if I am not mistaken the work was carried out by another forum member and enthusiast on here who was workimg in a bodyshop.

Not of much help I know but worth digginh Edp's Sorrento restoration thread.

allanallen

Granted blanked sunroofs don't look so good but they're perfectly functionable and a blanked sunroof shell is arguably stronger/stiffer than a non sunny shell!

You need to ask yourself whether it's worth the hassle of swapping the skin? I'm guessing its not a 'no expenses spared' build due to your cage choice so perhaps time and money would be best used somewhere else? Maybe on something that'll make the car faster?

Rougher cars are always faster too ;):P

• Like 2

allanallen

s*it yes, amateur no! My rally car has a blanker, it's a tool for a job and I personally wouldn't sacrifice one of my non sunny shells to the type of battering it gets!

Motorsport Artist

Thanks for all the responses so far. I wouldn't want to criticise others who have gone the blanking panel route it's just not the way I want to go with this build really. Nicky Grist recommended the cage so it can't be that bad! The car will have a GTI6 engine (240bhp) and whilst I'm working to a budget it's a pretty good one and I have a very understanding wife! I'm hoping the car may be finished in time to exhibit on my stand at Rally Day in September.

Anyway, I would really appreciate a PM from anyone who has done this roof skin alteration.

Cheers

Fran (aka Motorsport Artist)

Motorsport Artist

Hi Stu8v,

Sorry to sound dull but how do I look at your photobucket account?? I'm rather new to all these forum stuff!

allanallen

Thanks for all the responses so far. I wouldn't want to criticise others who have gone the blanking panel route it's just not the way I want to go with this build really. Nicky Grist recommended the cage so it can't be that bad! The car will have a GTI6 engine (240bhp) and whilst I'm working to a budget it's a pretty good one and I have a very understanding wife! I'm hoping the car may be finished in time to exhibit on my stand at Rally Day in September.

Anyway, I would really appreciate a PM from anyone who has done this roof skin alteration.

Cheers

Fran (aka Motorsport Artist)

Was nicky grist also selling you the cage? :P

Is this you then? http://action-art.co.uk/

Motorsport Artist

Yes Nick Grist is a good friend and really started me on the adventure of becoming a professional motorsport artist. I did buy my cage and seats from him (nickygrist.com) and I will be getting harnesses him him in due course. Yes action-ar t is me ( and my ace wife, Linda, who makes up all the prints/ mounts etc). The finished Pug will hopefully be liveried up with the action-art logo.

Cheers

Fran

GLPoomobile

I don't think replacing the roof skin is particularly expensive but it is a bit of a faff.

Really? I'd be amazed if it's not a significantly expensive bit of bodywork if you're paying a professional to do it. From what I can recall from when Paintguy did it for EDP (it was covered in EDP's project but don't think the photos are there any more) the shell needs to be braced to keep everything lined up, spot welds drilled out and the whole roof removed at the pillars, then obviously the reverse with the replacement roof and all spot welded and resealed. It probably doesn't sound like much, but I'd imagine the key is making sure everything is lined up perfectly and that takes time, and time is money. There's got to be a fair few hours of work involved.

stu8v

It takes a day if you have a prepped skin to go on, Less if you have a OE skin panel but they are no longer produced.

Motorsport Artist

My plan is to do all of the work myself with some help around the welding. I'm certainly getting the message that the car has to be braced properly prior to cutting the roof off which is really helpful. I will be sourcing a replacement roof skin and preparing that to go on my car as well as cutting off the old roof.

GLPoomobile

I'm sure you know from your research, but just in case you don't, there shouldn't be any cutting involved (so far as I know) it should be just a case of removing sealer and drilling out spot welds to remove the panel. Obviously for ease of removal of the donor roof you could cut the whole thing off half way down the pillars, and then "unstitch" the roof skin at your leisure.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Miles

A 205 having a roof skin, Only pic's I have

17052006-Copy_zps7e16813c.jpg

17052006001_zps1cf0a24d.jpg

17052006_zpsb95531ab.jpg

Motorsport Artist

Thanks everyone, really appreciating your input re this one!

Fran

stu8v

Its worth noting, other than the spot welds its brazed on the A,B and C pillars.

• Like 1