• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugfrank

Throttle Body Worn Out!

pugfrank

I think I have finally diagnosed that my throttle body is badly worn and causing my uncontrollable idle issues.

So what are my options?

Another second hand unit? that could just be worn out like mine?

Is there a modern equivalent I can fit with little work?

An upgrade of some sort maybe?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

James

dcc

What engine?

I personally have not come across any 8v TB's that have been worn out. They all have their issues of sorts with idling though.

pugfrank

1.6, the spindle has lots of play in it!

farmer

On of these new in Portugal I spotted on my searches.

Think it was very expensive though !

pugfrank

Can aAny one tell me if there is a newer better throttle body I can bolt onto the car??

Miles

std ones are all you need, Plenty around as I;ve never known one to fail until yours,

hoodygoodwood

The steel butterfly spindle runs in a split tubular steel bush each end which are a tight fit in the aluminium throttle body casting .The sealing is provided by an orange bush which is a tight fit in the casting and which is very like a tiny version of the gearbox/driveshaft oil seal .Remove TB from the car , take off the TPS and the black plastic throttle cable segment and you can clearly see if the orange bush is sealing against the spindle .I doubt if these are available now but if it is shot it should not be too hard to find another .

I just stripped down a spare TB , removed the spindle and turned it down to 8mm Diameter ( was 10 mm ) also modified the leading edge of the butterfly with a chamfer .Might flow a bit more air , will have a play with it this summer .