• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Basher

What Dizzy?

Basher

Can anyone tell me what dizzy this is? The engine is a vtr buy unsure if it is the standard one

AFDCC10F-6339-429A-8B73-9EE93F6711EE-309

7B2AF0D5-3CFA-4D03-92FC-B1C571130E4E-309

burr_2000

VTR's had coil packs dude

Basher

Not a vtr then! Any idea what dizzy I should be looking for

jonXS

its very possible it could be the dizzy from the oe engine that was fitted to the car before the vtr lump was placed in.

id possibly start there, try popping down the scrap yard and getting one that you can see is similar

I got a feeling it is a tu3s dizzy,ill check mine later and post up here

Edited by jonXS

jonXS

Following on from the above

I've checked mine and the code is different on the one fitted and a spare shell of one i have. They're both from a tu3s im lead to believe

Basher

Cheers, I guess any Tu dizzy will work? Worth a try if I can find one for comparison

jonXS

Yes, just the vacuum advance will be different that's all

RossD

Wow, wow hold on :P

Yes a distributor from another TU engine will fit, but each engine has a different advance curve. For example the TU3S has a different curve to the normal TU3, which has a different curve to the TU1 and again the TU9. In fact, each engine can have different curves, depending on the year and any emissions legislation that may have come into force.

I'll look up the number in the French bible tonight and see if I can post the advance curve for you.

Whilst a distributor from another TU engine will work on a TU5 (1.6) it will be a horrible compromise and not ideally suited to the engine. It would be like running the wrong ECU on an engine - i.e. "The mapping is wrong" :huh:

Edited by RossD

jonXS

What he said ^^

i don't have one of them bible things.

ill get my coat lol

Basher

Best to run megajolt on it really, the engines running 40s but pretty poorly prob down to the wrong dizzy, I am undecided whether to ditch the vtr and go for the vts engine I'm getting with the car, want to check a few things over before I go changing in case I need tog o back to the vtr engine

Edited by Basher

RossD

Well from the number on it, the distributor is a Ducellier and fitted to the later TU3S engines. Looking at the advance curve I have for the equivelent Bosch distributor for the TU3S, it wouldnt be a million miles off for a boggo standard TU5. Not ideal mind you!

Advance curve refs: D039 (Vacuum) C052 (Centrifugal)

Basher

What do you think the best dizzy to look for would be? Ax gt?

RossD

AX gt also has a TU3S engine, so therefore the distributor would be the same as the one in the picture.

Just set yours up with a timing light to have about 8 degrees of advance at tickover and it should be fine. The best would be a mapped setup, i.e megajolt or similar and have it mapped on a rolling road, but for the gains you would get vs the cost its just not worth it.

If you dont have a timing light, just slacken the distributor bolts and turn it anti-clockwise fractionally at a time. After each adjustment, go out for a drive. When it starts to 'pink', back it off a bit until it stops. Thats then your best setting.

Basher

Cool cheers, waiting on the car to be delivered then il give the engine a check then il see how it is and if it's worth it or fit the vts

Basher

Stripped the dizzy yesterday, the vacuum advance has been removed so it's not doing a thing, seems to be running ok but looking into other options