• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lee3022

Ring Trip This Year, How To Sort My Driveshaft Issues?

Lee3022

Done the ring trip for many years, mainly in cosworths, m3's etc, took my little 205 a few years ago but kept going through driveshafts, want to take it this year but before I go in July need to sort this out.

The car is a track prepared mi16 1.9 gti, 309 rear axle but the front is standard 1.9 wishbones, driveshafts etc.

Been through the search on here but can't find a diffinitive answer.

Last trip on new 1.9 shafts I split gaiters and then got rattles from the shafts somewhere, can't tell as no sound deadening and on twin carbs it's not quiet enough to hear what's going on, anyway, what's the best set up on the front?

I really don't want problems this year and I don't want to have to carry spare shafts again.

Any help much appreciated

Edited by Lee3022

dcc

Sounds like the car is lowered too much, possibly wrong taper on the cv, engine fitted on a tilt, bent subframe, cheap shafts with smaller cv joints.

My advice get the car checked over by somebody in the know, not a garage who will not really understand.

Tom Fenton

Main thing to establish is why the gaiters split? This is the root cause of your problem as once the grease gets out the shafts will quickly self destruct. New shafts with new gaiters correctly fitted should not cause you problems as long as everything else is correct.

Willem_Jacobs

I've done quite a few laps on the ring myself (S16 engined white convertible 205) but i've never suffered any damage to my driveshafts ever...

Lee3022

Sounds like the car is lowered too much, possibly wrong taper on the cv, engine fitted on a tilt, bent subframe, cheap shafts with smaller cv joints.

My advice get the car checked over by somebody in the know, not a garage who will not really understand.

You'll have to forgive me as I don't know a great deal about 205 mi16 conversions, had 205's back in the day but standard 1.6 1.9's.

I bought this from a friend around 2010/11 it was converted when he bought it but the old engine was knackered, he had the engine rebuilt and put it on twin carbs 45's I believe, I basically rescued it as he was going to break it to put money into his next car, anyway the engine is tilted backwards so slopes down towards the firewall, seen many like this, is that not right?

Don't know if it's lowered but if it is not by much, has standard looking bilstein suspension on it.

No idea on the subframe but looks fine and tracks straight, will upload a pic of engine.

welshpug

the engines are designed to sit at 30 degrees, however it seemed to be accepted back in the day to extend the lower fork so that the exhaust manifold and downpipe would clear without modification, however over time this can cause issues.

best bet is to take a pic of the fork, and the ride height.

get some good branded 1.9 shafts, make sure they have fresh boots fitted properly and you should be fine.

• Like 1

dobboy

Welsh, (me again).

What are the detrimental issues with a tilted engine?

dcc

oil starvation, driveshafts, been covered plenty :) have a search

Lee3022

the engines are designed to sit at 30 degrees, however it seemed to be accepted back in the day to extend the lower fork so that the exhaust manifold and downpipe would clear without modification, however over time this can cause issues.

best bet is to take a pic of the fork, and the ride height.

get some good branded 1.9 shafts, make sure they have fresh boots fitted properly and you should be fine.

Will dig the car out of the garage over the weekend, literally haha and take a pic.

Forgive me for this, what's the lower fork? And where is it?

Appreciate the advice given, can you still find genuine shafts?

GilesW

It's the lower engine mount.

It's just above the sump and the rear of the engine and connects it to the subframe.

Easy to take a photo through the off side wheel well.

Lee3022

It's the lower engine mount.

It's just above the sump and the rear of the engine and connects it to the subframe.

Easy to take a photo through the off side wheel well.

Great thank you

Lee3022

F0D8B554-68D6-4655-A7E2-E3DA9A97DEF1.jpg

0D1FEE79-9A27-455B-836E-6AFD4B1C904F.jpg

3DDFBDCE-9F49-4D97-BD9A-729BB6AE7D9E.jpg

FB8A6907-14B8-4187-95E5-1258CEB7A59F.jpg

59B10206-7295-4176-A913-8DE4B0752AC9.jpg

65BF41AA-E90E-46A8-9D77-720FC17021A7.jpg

Where the car is I can't get any further in unless I jack it up, bonus it started first time, first ones to show ride height

dcc

that has had an extended lower mount :)

there is your problem! :)

Lower the body shell / engine, combined with the engine pushed forward = your driveshaft issue.

welshpug

Wont handle the best with the rear at that height, especially with a 309 beam and 205 wishbones.

Lee3022

How do I fix this issue then?

Doesn't handle great no if I'm honest but I do want to get all these issues fixed, just need the correct advice as I've no idea on these

welshpug

you'll need a re-angled exhaust manifold or a 4-branch conversion type manifold and a standard length mounting fork (306 is the same but a different bush fitted)

you can see that the air filter has been resting against the bonnet for a while! proper angle would rectify that.

welshpug

front ride height is decent, rear needs to come down probably 20-30mm but its hard to say due to the colours!

get it on a flat surface and measure the heights to the sill jacking points.

Lee3022

you'll need a re-angled exhaust manifold or a 4-branch conversion type manifold and a standard length mounting fork (306 is the same but a different bush fitted)

you can see that the air filter has been resting against the bonnet for a while! proper angle would rectify that.

Excellent mate that's great, at least I know where to start, so once that's done and a decent set of shafts found hopefully genuine ones? That should put an end to it?

Lee3022

front ride height is decent, rear needs to come down probably 20-30mm but its hard to say due to the colours!

get it on a flat surface and measure the heights to the sill jacking points.

Yes it does sit high at the back, rear beam was refurbed a little while ago, never been happy with its handling so will get it measured up

camgti

Ive never underatood the claim that the engine gets worse starvation if its tilted a few degrees. Its essentially the same as driving up a hill! If your getting starvation driving in a straight line your low on oil.

Second, if its tilted, how can its affect the driveshafts? Thats what the CVs are for? They can operate at almost any angle.

Im sure its preferered to run with no tilt. But lets get some solid evidence as to why the shafts dont like being moved a tiny bit forward. Remember, they move alot more than that constantly as your driving.

Being too low could be compressing them together causing problems? I can see how that could potentially wear them quicker?

You can also angle your current exhaust with a wedge plate. They are sold with longer exhaust studs and special angled washers. Will save you money but can be a fiddle to fit. No need to spend loads on a new system.

Cam

• Like 1

Lee3022

Ive never underatood the claim that the engine gets worse starvation if its tilted a few degrees. Its essentially the same as driving up a hill! If your getting starvation driving in a straight line your low on oil.

Second, if its tilted, how can its affect the driveshafts? Thats what the CVs are for? They can operate at almost any angle.

Im sure its preferered to run with no tilt. But lets get some solid evidence as to why the shafts dont like being moved a tiny bit forward. Remember, they move alot more than that constantly as your driving.

Being too low could be compressing them together causing problems? I can see how that could potentially wear them quicker?

You can also angle your current exhaust with a wedge plate. They are sold with longer exhaust studs and special angled washers. Will save you money but can be a fiddle to fit. No need to spend loads on a new system.

Cam

Will be looking into everything first mate, few months before I can afford to do anything with it if at all this year, going to the ring in the wr1 in April but wanted to take the 205 in July if possible, not as quick but just as much fun to drive

Lee3022

April 23rd to 27th in the scoob then July maybe in the pug but not sure on dates yet

• Like 1