• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrfirepro

Cylinder Liner Question

mrfirepro

Having stripped the engine down (1.9 8v), just considering the next steps, as I'm not at all experienced in engine building. (considering the Haynes manual route, as I've had little response from the engine builders I've approached, one of which had the engine for 3 weeks and did nothing)

The liners do have a small lip at the top but it feels like it's not a lip caused my wear, but by the build up of deposits, is this usual? and if I hone the liners should I do anything special to get rid of this build up.

It was really difficult to picture so I'm sorry for the poor quality but here is my best pic

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/media/205%20projects/P1020773_666x500.jpeg.html

Also to my untrained eye the shells look quite good but as they are not that expensive should I get new and if so do I need to do anything else.

Where is the best place to get engine parts , rings, seals, gaskets, shells etc etc....

This will be my first engine build so any other advice would be great...

Tom Fenton

If you are going to bolt it together yourself then get a machine shop to check and hone the liners, check the crank and either polish or regrind. Then get the plugs out of the block and clean till it's spotless. Same with the drilllings in the crank. There are a few threads on here about building a bottom end if you have a look.

mrfirepro

Thanks Tom,

Do you think I should replace the shells in any event.

Tom Fenton

I would.

Miles

Yes, But as said get everything checked or measure it up, Plastiguage is good for checking bearing to crank clearance.

Liners for the price new it's hardly worth Honing them as it could be money wasted

309jazzpanda

Last I checked with unipart, the liners are ridiculously cheap

mrfirepro

so..

To my surprise I have picked up my engine and the builders have already honed the liners, checked and polished the crank, cleaned oil pump, head and block ( I take everything back I've said about them) and only charged me £30. :D

I will change all the shells and get a price for new liners as the engineers have said there is a very small lip but it wouldn't have bothered them.

Is it a bad idea to sand blast the block so that it looks better?? (as the liners may be removed)

these are the prices I'm being quoted

rings - £49.87

BE - £29.46

Mains - £28.68 (half/Half or 4P/6G)

Washers - £9.46

All gaskets/seals and O rings - £68.50 (he said there are cheaper, <£45 but would not recommend them)

Head Bolts - £15.91

Liners - £29.86 ea

All plus VAT and delivery

Tom Fenton

All sounds reasonable to me. For the sake of £120 I would buy new liners. I would also consider changing the rod bolts for new items for peace of mind.

mrfirepro

Going to show my inexperience here now, what are rod bolts, where are they

If I were a gambling man I'de put some money on........ they are the bolts that hold the rod in and in this case I would ask, what is the rod?

Also Liners ordered...thanks for advice....

Edited by mrfirepro

mrfirepro

got it......Con Rod's ........ dooh...feel really stupid now :blush:

Edited by mrfirepro

Miles

Check the make of the Ring's, The cheap ones are just that

mrfirepro

Hi Miles,

Didn't question that, is that a cheap price?