• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Thicker Driveshafts For 405 Mi16

JeffR

I'd like to strengthen the drive shafts in my 405 track car with something stronger from the later models, maybe 306/406 as they appear to be beefier (unless they're hollow).

Front track width on a 405 is 1450mm, 306 is 1462mm & 406 is 1500mm. Not sure if the difference is in the shaft length or inner/outer CV joints or both.

Has anyone attempted this or know if its doable?

Trying to avoid costly custom shafts.

Edited by JeffR

welshpug

Certain 306 shafts are a direct fit, wheel offset is 9mm wider each side on sport models.

They are hollow though, its the cv joint that is the weak point not the bar shaft though.

JeffR

What about CV's from say a 607 or one of the PSA vans, possibly diesel? Did they have a stronger version?

welshpug

406 cv's are larger, 406 hubs are the same as late 405 hubs, not sure if they will fit directly into early 405 hub but they do go into 205 with a little trimming.

They would need to be shortened as the inner spline count is larger, 607 i think may be the same parts, vans other than berlingo/partner (306 front end based) are very different.