• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Thermostat Housing Connectors

James Cornell

I was wondering if the temp senders (I assume that is what they are) at the back of the thermostat housing would have an adverse impact on the running of an 8v (non cat) gti.

Since a head rebuild the car really struggles at low revs and cuts out and Judders when pulling away.

I have changed the ht leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, filters and breather hoses. The SAD is working and I have checked the diafram on the vacuum advance and that is working too.

If you advance the timing a bit at the dizzy it makes it much more drivable but it pinks under load so I am reluctant to run it with too much advance. So I was wondering (as I am running out of ideas) whether the two spade connectors that locate on the back of the thermostat housing next to the SAD would have any adverse affect on the running if they we're put on backwards.

BTW this car did not suffer from bad running before the HG replacement

welshpug

only the blue two pin bosch sender would have any impact on the running.

the other pair are for the instrument cluster.

you really need to get it on a gas tester to set up the isle CO, after making sure the TPS works and the throttle initial position is set.

James Cornell

If the blue two pin sender is faulty is it a sender that can be replaced or do you just have to try a used one that was working?

I don't have a CO2 tester as they seem to be quite expensive to buy, is it something that is worth the investment or do you just pay for time on the ramps at a garage?

welshpug

yes, of course they can be bought, its a standard bosch part used on many vehicles

however before spending your money you can just test it with a multimeter.

I wouldn't buy a gas tester, just call past your local friendly MOT garage and ask if you can quickly check what its running at.