• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martycush

Immobiliser?

Martycush

I need to organise an immobiliser for my car, the area I live in is notorious for car thieves..anyone purchased & installed one?..

Any recommendations?

Difficult job?

Thanks

Marty

Martycush

That will do the job!

Thanks

AlexRS2782

Just remember if it's for insurance purposes they may not accept it if you buy / fit it yourself, and will normally ask for proof of installation via a certified installer. Or will ask that if you fit it yourself that a qualified installer certifies it's been fitted correctly.

Edited by AlexRS2782

Dizzee stuff

I have used and fitted a Toad sterling transponder imobiliser with no problems yet.

rikky

the Toad Sterling is exactly what I fitted on my caged track car. It's Cat2 Thatcham Rated and I just chucked an alarm installer a tenner to check it and sign some paperwork stating it was working fine

I'm with Brentacre for insurance and as soon as I told them I was running polycarb windows they stated it needed to be Thatcham rated/approved, not just any old immobiliser, and that I'd need an approved installer to verify it's working

Edited by rikky

jackherer

I don't think I've ever seen an immobiliser that isn't Thatcham cat 2. The Cobra I linked to above certainly is.

Anthony

Most "proper" ones from known brands are CAT2, but cheapo no-name ones often aren't.

Obviously they're only usually accepted by insurance as being CAT2 if you have a fitting certificate - ironic really seeing as I've never seen a single professionally fitted system that was done in accordance with the certification guidelines, but that's another rant entirely.

Another one here that likes the Toad Powerkey / Sterling Excel transponder based systems - they're a little more expensive than the usual systems where you need to touch the fob, but the simplicity and lack of faffing around trying to disarm in the dark is well worth the extra.

Dizzee stuff

Most "proper" ones from known brands are CAT2, but cheapo no-name ones often aren't.Obviously they're only usually accepted by insurance as being CAT2 if you have a fitting certificate - ironic really seeing as I've never seen a single professionally fitted system that was done in accordance with the certification guidelines, but that's another rant entirely.Another one here that likes the Toad Powerkey / Sterling Excel transponder based systems - they're a little more expensive than the usual systems where you need to touch the fob, but the simplicity and lack of faffing around trying to disarm in the dark is well worth the extra.

Yeah this is the system I have fitted, very good and like anthony said no faffing around.