• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

1.9 Oil Cooler Thermostat

Bovien

I'm guessing there is no thermostat on the standard H/X oil cooler on the 1.9 XU? Has anyone ever added one? I'm annoyed about the oil taking forever to come up to operating temp. I have changed temp sensor with no change in speed. It takes aprox 20 min to get fully up to temp, and that's too much of a wait to play, when my commute is 30 min..

welshpug

nope, no thermostat, plenty have fitted aftermarket kits that do have thermostats, but I've not seen anyone get a plate fitted to the original oil cooler.

allanallen

Take the cooler off? They're really not that necessary on a road car IMO

Bovien

Take the cooler off? They're really not that necessary on a road car IMO

I would like to be able to track it once in a while, so a thermostat on the existing cooler would be nice

jackherer

Block it with a bit of cardboard or something you can easily take out on track.

allanallen

I would like to be able to track it once in a while, so a thermostat on the existing cooler would be nice

What's 'once in a while'? Once a month,year, never?

Rather than living with cold oil it may make sense to lose the cooler and maybe run the car on 10w50 that will stand the heat a bit better on the occasions you need it?!

Or maybe lose the cooler and fit an aluminium finned sump.

Or get yourself a thermostatic sandwich plate and get yourself some pipes made up to suit.

Or buy an off the shelf mocal oil cooler kit with thermo plate and fit that.

Lots of options, I wouldn't get too hung up on it and I'd personally lose the cooler.

• Like 1

Bovien

Thanks, good info. Needed some ideas..

Simes

Or maybe lose the cooler and fit an aluminium finned sump.

I have this,

5 laps of Brands and the oil temp gauge is just over the 4th marking heading further right.

Fast road in hot summer temps. it doesn't go over the 2nd.

boldy205

i have just wrapped my cooler with some a heat proof sheet, tied on with a metal cable tie. Easy to take off for track use, functional for road use.

• Like 1

Bovien

Do you have a heat exchanger type or air to oil cooler? Do you have a picture? I can't quite visualize it..

boldy205

Its an aftermarket Mocal air oil cooler, it has a thermostat sandwich plate fitted. Even though with the stat shut (opens at 83deg if i remember) the oil still runs cooler. I don't have any pics of the setup, but i have essentialy insulated the cooler. If i get the chance i will sort a pic on the weekend.

Bovien

Sweet. I was thinking about stuffing some cardboard in front if the radiator to see if there is any change. As mine is HX model, things will be different than one with air to oil. But if you de get a chance for a pic, please do :)

pug_ham

If I read this topic correctly, you don't have an air/oil cooler but the oil water heat exchanger type fitted?

The only thermostat on the oil water heat exchanger is the standard cooling system thermostat so it doesn't start heat transfer with the oil until this has opened which is usually 89'c.

I used to run my trackday 205 with the remote oil water hx & wouldn't recommend one, it also seemed to take along time to get the oil up to temp & after a good 20 minute session at Cadwell, both oil & water temps were over to the right of the gauge, I've gone for the alloy sump on my next build just to see how things change but I remember when at the ring with daz.c who runs the air oil exchanger afaik his water was close to normal temp & the oil central (vertical) on the temp gauge after one of his hot laps.

The easiest way for you to block the HX type off is to change your top hose for the standard non hx type, basically removing it from the system.

g

Bovien

Thanks, good info. I agree that HX systems typically isn't too good for track work. I don't intend using it for track, as I have another car for that, but would like to try it out, now that I have sunk 6000-ish £ into restoring it over the last year and a half.

What I can't figure is that hose you talk about; how does that decide the path of the water. I mean; which how to he HX is in and which is out? I was thinking about putting something in on the 'cold line' to open/close it manually. That would - in my mind - effectively give the possibility if turning it on/off.. Am I right?

pug_ham

What I can't figure is that hose you talk about; how does that decide the path of the water. I mean; which how to he HX is in and which is out?

Assuming you have the remote oil water hx on 205 GTI's sold in denmark with the oil filter & hx unit bolted to the gearbox, the top hose has two legs which run down to the hx but this is after the thermostat so it doesn't get not water until after the car is closer to normal operating temp & the stat has opened.

Both hose types are shown on this page on miami stu's parts site (Item 1 or 2).

g

MikeC

Didn't somebody have an engine failure (was a factor) with one of these remote filters due to the oil hoses being put on the wrong way when they put on the right filter? Just to make you aware of the hoses. Somebody might be able to elaborate :-)

Bovien

Assuming you have the remote oil water hx on 205 GTI's sold in denmark with the oil filter & hx unit bolted to the gearbox, the top hose has two legs which run down to the hx but this is after the thermostat so it doesn't get not water until after the car is closer to normal operating temp & the stat has opened.

Both hose types are shown on this page on miami stu's parts site (Item 1 or 2).

g

I don't think it is a remote cooler. It sets as a sandwichplate in front of the engine, below and between the alternator and the intake manifold. I'm having a hard time getting a proper picture.