• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoshGti

Zender Bodykit

JoshGti

So an eventful day, my shell has been taken to be scrapped and shortly after this arrived:

9acd04d1e326248048f80f4781610248.jpg

I'm sure a lot of you saw it on ebay but instead of waiting for photos I thought I would just throw caution to the wind, give the guy a call and pay. Seeing as they don't come up very often I thought it worth the risk.

Upon arrival the damage is apparent. One big crack in the front valance and a few little cracks around the driving light locations, but IMPORTANTLY no chunks missing! Some might say good for making a mould from....

c33db03ee16b83ba38d5f3341267a534.jpg

The side skirts are near perfect, one little crack on the rear arch section, easy fix.

Then the rear....oh....

565e90e6551b263cf3714e1bd6de04a0.jpg

Pretty serious cracks on both sides.

All is not lost, I have a pair of valances in okay condition that I'll chop up to replace and missing plastic, assuming they are made of the same plastics or at least similar then proper plastic cement should bond them together leaving me with some very good parts of a now rare kit.

PLAN: make moulds.

I've got a chap coming over that works with dad helping with the fiberglass parts over at sunseeker yauchts. So when I've glued them all up, the stone chips will be removed, it will be polished up and a mould made of the front splitter initially, if there's enough interest in the rear then Maybe, but it will require a lot of work to get it worthy of a mould.

welshpug

Aren't these FG? If so an o.e Valence wont be ideal to fix it up as they are plastic.

JoshGti

Nope, original zender parts are plastic not fiberglass and I can confidently say that as I can see between the fresh cracks :s

welshpug

ahh fair enough, plastic welding would suffice then, unless there's actually material missing.

JoshGti

The front one I can get away with plastic welding, as it's just cracks, and a small bit is been pushed beyond its elastic limit and is bent so a bit of heat to bring it forward too.

But the rear has one full chunk missing, it's this that I would like to remedy.

I have my own valances that I could cut up, but the rear isn't in too bad condition so someone could probably make use of it, and it would be easier to take parts from the rear one as it's the rear with missing bits, so mounting points etc would line up.

deathbringer929

google hot staple repairs, very good and strong. use with lord fusor adhesives too.