• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Weber 40's Or 45's On A 1.9 8V?

johnhenry

Evening all

A project i would like to carry out in the new year is to convert to carbs. After abit of reading im unsure which carbs to go for, 40 or 45's? Im really just the nature/delivery that carbs have rather than any large power gains.

Would really like input from people that have run either 40's or 45's on a 1.9 8 valve. I know setting up a carb is pretty much the most essential thing and can effect its nature, but any suggestions would be great thanks.

From reading

• 40's give a better low end power but arent as capable at the top end going forward if im looking for more power
  • 45's are better if going after a more aggressive cam and more power?

Cheers

John

welshpug

bodies ftw.

why go backwards.

What is your engine spec?

Edited by welshpug

johnhenry

just a bogo 1.9 d6b 8valve, recently rebuilt, peugeot ex manifold & induction, as standard as you're likely to get.

to be honest, I just really like the idea of carbs, i like the mechanics of it, i know more is achievable with bodies and its alot more modern, but i just like the idea of being able to do away with a lot of electronics on the engine, and removing the need for an ECU (that is right isnt it?)

welshpug

an injector is far simpler than a carburettor...

johnhenry

i just don't like the idea of electronics being involved, its a pretty archaic belief to have i know, but i just like the idea of things been fixed/sorted with a tool box not a laptop/multimeter.

welshpug

you carry carb gaskets needles and jets etc in your toolbox? :lol:

• Like 1

johnhenry

ive got a full service set gaskets and different jets for my 2 stroke Maico 490cc crosser in my box :D team old school :D

welshpug

Bet they dont fit a weber :P

dcc

Go for 40's. But if 45's are cheap enoigh, just fit them and jet accordingly. I have a mate who considers himself a spdxialist with carbs, rates them bettr than bodies, in his words 'less s*it for s*it to happen to'

welshpug

DCC's engine was making more power on exactly the same engine by just moving to Bodies...

less fuel usage, longer engine life, far simpler fuel system, no cold start issues.

no brainer.

why do you think they put the I at the end of GTI !

Anthony

40's will be fine for a standard-ish 1.9 8v engine and are usually much cheaper than 45's.

Whilst there's little doubt that ITB's will give a better ultimate result, don't forget the significant differences in costs and complexity to do so. A 2nd hand twin 40's setup is going to be about £300 or so, and say a couple of hundred to get them re-jetted and setup on the rollers as required. ITB's you're going to be talking a minimum of £1500 and more like the best part of £2k by the time it's mapped.

The ulitmate result for both is of course going to be down to how good a job the person setting up the carbs or mapping the ECU does - unfortunately, there's plenty of "experts" out there who are frankly barely capable of either, so choose carefully. Carbs in particular seem to be especially problematic judging by how badly most conversions seem to run.

A well set up set of carbs on an 8v is actually quite nice - I miss the noise, delivery and old school charm of my old cammed 1.6 on twin 40's.

Stu

I echo Anthony's statement.

We would all love the budget for ITB's, but in its absence, well set up carbs (but more importantly, ignition) can make for a very tractable engine that makes good power; its all in the setup.

I ran my Mi on carbs with a mappable ignition system for years without any problems, setup once a year it never went 'out of tune' and with the cold start rigged up properly it was fine to use in all weathers.

Matt Holley

I've had two 205s with carbs and they both started and drove well. The second had mapped ignition which improved things.

I'm not saying tbs aren't the better option but on an otherwise standard engine a well set up set of carbs will do the job just fine.

I'd get a set of 45s personally.

Furyblade_Lee

A lot of my friends still use DCOE carbs in their kitcars, yes they don't give the ultimate power, smoothness and maybe reliability and setup of throttle bodies, BUT they look and sound cool as ****. Do it! Before we are all not allowed to do such things anymore. Also that's what would have been fitted in the 80's and 90's so it is period correct for me!