• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stef205

306 Hdi Stalling

stef205

i have a phase 3 hdi with a stalling issue, only stalls when on a hill and wont restart untill its on flat ground. The in tank pump runs and the engine will run ok when on flat ground. Any surgestions will be appreciated.

Anthony

Obvious question is does it do it with a fuel (ish) tank of fuel, and is it both on uphills and downhills?

The obvious culprit would be a fuel delivery issue from the in-tank lift pump, starving the high pressure pump and making it cut out.

stef205

doesnt appear to do it down hills, the tank is at around 1/4 tank, i did think the in tank pump could be to blame but it pumps the fuel well when out on the bench

Anthony

Put more diesel in the tank and if the problem goes away, it's got to be something related to the low pressure pump.

I've not looked at one in a couple of years now, but I imagine that it's similar to the petrol model pumps were the pickup can come away from the bottom of the pump, effectively leaving it sucking on air when the fuel level gets low. The low pressure pumps do give issues on HDi's, although it's normally them chewing themselves up, filling the filter and fuel lines with metal shavings and eventually stopping working altogether.

Alternatively, drive it to a hill and make it cut out, pop the feed hose to the filter off and aim it into a suitable container, and switch the ignition on (prime) or crank and see if a constant stream of diesel comes out

stef205

i did see some metal fillings in the filter, so maybe the pump isnt working its best, ill try doing as you said by sticking it on a hill and see if it picks the fuel up. Thanks Anthony

Anthony

If there's metal filings in the filter housing I'd replace that low pressure pump ASAP.

stef205

yeah there was, ill get a pump sorted.