• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

How Hot Does Your Engine Get (To Touch Rather Than Temp?)

johnhenry

Morning All

took the 205 out last night (2nd time since head gasket) after some very very gentle driving (nothing above 2.5K) when i got home and shut it off I noticed the engine was really hot, like putting my hand on the inlet mani was painful after about 3 seconds.

Seems pretty hot to be getting, concerned me a little, is this normal? its not the most scientific of methods, but do you guys experience this?

The engine is about 1500 miles out of a rebuild so im guessing things are pretty tight still and could generate a little bit of extra heat maybe?

Im also going to set the timing properly today with a strobe light, might this cause additional heat to build up if its not correctly set up/out far enough?

Cheers

John

allye

That's completely normal. Engines get facking haawwwtt!

• Like 1

TooMany2cvs

Metal is a really, really good conductor of heat. The coolant going round inside the engine is just shy of boiling. Why would the outside be much cooler?

jackherer

I agree with the above but to answer your question incorrect ignition timing can make an engine run hot.

What does your temp gauge show? You can't judge it by touch.

johnhenry

it reads that its running at the 3rd bar or just i think (prety sure its the 3rd bar, completely normal in terms of what it ran before engine rebuild :)

it was a really stupid question, i just ended up thinking it was a problem, but it sounds like it isnt, ill check the timing properly tomorrow :D

thanks all

Simes

Get an infra red thermometer and give it a proper check.

Jolly Green Monster

if you wrap some kippers in foil and put them on the engine and drive to work they should be cooked ;)

• Like 1