• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

Wishbone Kit 3599 07 Set Bolts ?

buster205

Hi All,

I've been trying to solve a clunk noise from the front end mainly when braking and coming on off power at lowish speed. I've read previous posts regarding 1.6 calipers causing these symptoms, so I fitted 1.9 calipers off my last pug. Little effect if any ! The wishbones are also off my old pug and have done very little mileage, just removed the drivers side which is a FAI item with O.E pug bushes in, no wear in bushes and ball joint is nice and tight. However the two M10 bolts don't look too clever larger M12 looks ok. I've got a Peugeot bush repair kit 3599 07 which is still bagged but it only has two bolts in it ? The front bush bolt is a set bolt (i.e. no shoulder, all thread) and the balljoint bolt isn't in the kit ? but contains six nyloc nuts. Not too happy about fitting set bolts, are these correct ? Current bolts have a shoulder, also what spec are the balljoint bolts ? Any other suggestions regarding clunking noise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ste

Tom Fenton

As you say the balljoint clamp bolt should be a bolt e.g. with a section of plain shank and not a set screw fully threaded. 8.8 grade or better but avoid the supposed "uprated" cap screws 12.9 grade as all these serve to achieve is stretching the clamp.

I bought 30 off some time ago and may well have some remaining if you want a pair.

buster205

Thanks Tom, I'll see what bolts we have in work, I work on a 40+ year old plant where most kit is whitworth and bsf, we do have a few metric bolts, am I correct in assuming the higher the number on the head of the bolt the higher the tensile strength ? Sorry for sounding like a numpty but I' used to R grade, T grade etc

Cheers

Ste

Tom Fenton

Sounds familiar, I also work in plant engineering with up to 50 yr old kit.

Simplified, higher number is higher strength. For cars use nothing less than 8.8 grade. Anything lower is only sufficient for garden furniture!

allanallen

Or stainless, keep that s*it away too!

Make sure you torque the bottom ball joint to the book, very easy to over tighten and it will bugger the hub.

jackherer

Any other suggestions regarding clunking noise would be much appreciated.

Check all the subframe bolts are tight, the rear four can move and clunk a lot when they are only slightly loose.

yorkshirekowboy

Just been searching. What are the consequences of over tightening the bottom ball joint bolt? Ovalling? Just wondering. Can the hub be fixed again? Regards danny

Anthony

Yes it's liable to distort and oval the balljoint hole if you over-tighten the pinch bolt.

Depending how badly it's ovalled/distorted, it can be repaired by Bridgecraft Engineering (Allanallen on here) for about £40 a hub I believe.

yorkshirekowboy

Hmm I did mine some time ago. Hopefully they will be ok as I didn't use a torque wrench. Silly me. Erm I'll check it out when I need it off . 1.6 hubs still easily to get hold of I guess in good non damaged overtighten state?

yorkshirekowboy

Just seen you reply. Great thanks

Slo

I've got 2 of these bolt kits and they are the same no shank on the M10 bolt and no ball joint bolt, the amount of nylocs confused me as well.

In the end I just used the old M10 bolts for the fronts and new nylocs.

jackherer

They've never come with a balljoint bolt, just the ones for the bushes. It's been years since I've seen a kit with the right bolts, the fully threaded setscrews are all you get and are not right. I've had other issues with them too, e.g. I got one kit with one completely wrong bush in it.