• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bob

Cylinder Pitting Fix?

Mr Bob

So after my S16 engine died (again), due to piston rings or head gasket I don't know which but I was only getting 50 psi on a compression test from cylinder 1 to 3 and 4 was 75psi, it shot up to 255psi with a little drop of oil in the cylinder, I didn't want to spend the time or money fixing it again

So almost a year on I want to get my finger out and get the car fixed and I thought it was time I try the 8v turbo engine, so I've bought one

However the curse strikes me again (not having a lot of luck with XU engines!), I took the head off and found one of the cylinders had water sitting in it and the cylinder wall has rusted slightly:

th_Photo0892_zps2b1291a6.jpg

The most part it was just light surface rust or rusty water that been rubbed up the cylinder which cleaned off with a cloth, however there was a small ring of rust at TDC and a patch about the size of a 10p where the water had pooled

I've done everything I can think of which includes round file to take the patch of rust out, wet sanded with wet n dry, a quick run round with a honing drill attachment and WD40 with wire wool to get it to this:

th_Photo0894_zps0168b392.jpg

th_Photo0893_zps595aa1cb.jpg

As you can see it's looking much better, the ring at TDC has gone but the patch where it had pooled is very very slightly pitted, you can't see it but if you gently run you finger over it there is a very slight texture to it

Falling short of taking it to a machine shop and getting it properly honed is there anything else I can try or do you think it will be ok? or will it ware on the piston ring? or will the piston ring ware the texture flat over time and it will be fine?

welshpug

that needs an overbore and new pistons.

Mr Bob

not what i wanted to hear, i would be cheaper buying a new engine :(​