• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Mi16Mick

1.9 Mi16 In A 1.8 16V 306

205Mi16Mick

Hi All,

I have come across a nice 1.8 16v 306 sedan that has had its lacky band let go. And I have a 1.9 alloy mi16 in the shed that is just sitting there begging to be put into something so....

Can I run the 1.9L off the 1.8 management? Or is that a recipe for disaster? And will it bolt straight in?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael

jackherer

I've run later engines on the earlier management but that only works because they used flap type air flow meters, late management with MAP sensors wont work well without a remap as I understand it.

205Mi16Mick

OK, thanks. What about just a head swap. Will the 1.9 bolt straight on? And if so, will it keep the CCs roughly the same?

welshpug

cc's will not change, however compression will drop.

petert

Not sure about WA, but in NSW it would be illegal. You'd do all that work fitting the engine, etc. then go for a blue slip. During the blue slip stage they'd enter the engine number into the sytem and it would appear as an '88-93 vintage. You can't put an older engine in a newer car. Otherwise, yes, I'd just throw it in and run on the 1.8 management. It could be a tad lean on the top end. Find a 2L ECU to fix it.

205Mi16Mick

Hi Peter,

I checked with an approved engineer for vehicle modifications in WA and he said that it is illegal here too.

How much compression would I lose, WP?

Regards,

Mick