• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
analog_addict

205 Cutting Out While Accelerating. Dodgy Electrics?

analog_addict

Hi,

I have a 205 CJ with a 1.4 AX engine. I'm having quite a bad problem where every once and a while I'll be waiting at lights and when I try to accelerate and move off nothing happens, the revs drop to zero and my battery warning light comes on.

From there the car often won't turn over (no clicking or anything). Sometimes this can be fixed by turning all my lights/electrics off and the car will start. I was waiting at a busy slip road and it happened. The only way to start was to turn all my lights off which is a bit dodgy in the dark with cars doing 60 past you.

It doesn't feel like a stall or not having enough choke. Basically I lift the clutch and press the accelerator but instead of the car moving, nothing happens and the revs just fall to zero.

Also my choke warning light flickers when I push the accelerator (while I'm using the choke), this has only started happening recently.

Any ideas on what's going on? Alternator on it's way out? Maybe a coincidence but this has only ever happened at night while waiting at lights with my headlights on. Usually on colder nights.

The battery isn't very old at all.

Edited by analog_addict

welshpug

sounds like a poor earth or live connection somewhere