• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ra11ygeorge

Lsd Identification Zf?

ra11ygeorge

Hi,

I've been offered this LSD, the seller seems to think its a ZF unit out of a 205 be1 box.

Does anyone recognise it?

The thing that's putting me off is the fact that the bolt pattern holding the crownwheel onto the diff doesn't look like a standard pattern? Or am I imagining this? I thought the standard bolt pattern was equally spaced?

I don't want to buy a diff that I can't get a wide choice of chrownwheels for!

Any help is much appreciated!

post-24274-0-20667700-1384472852_thumb.jpg

jackherer

I don't know what diff that is but IIRC the bolts holding the crownwheel to the diff are on the other side.

Miles

Does look like a ZF, Depending on the age it may have a unique crown wheel so the std one cannot be fitted, depending on the cost and service issue's I'd tend to buy new now

allanallen

Are they not the bolts holding the diff casing together and the crownwheel bolts are on the other side as mentioned?

Get some more photos

pug_ham

If it is a ZF type diff, didn't they have different driveshafts because they can't use standard shaft inner ends?

g

ra11ygeorge

That's what I was worried about Pug_Ham!

What would expect to pay for one if it is the old type ZF?

ra11ygeorge

Got a few more photos through from the seller.....

Looks like it is a funny fitment crownwheel, does anyone know where I could get a 5.1 or similar from?

post-24274-0-56965600-1384540656_thumb.jpg

post-24274-0-53645400-1384540668_thumb.jpg

Miles

As I thought the early type of ZF diff, it must be quite old now as I used to service one of these on a mates Race car 10 years ago before he swapped it over for ease of CWP options, these need the matched Pinion as well due to the pitch of the teeth being different

welshpug

you would need the pinion as well of course, I believe AB motorsport do ZF parts.

GTI6BOY

I've had a zf for years, you need to cut 7mm off of the short shaft and it will be fine.

I also had another I purchased and sent it to abmotorsport and it needed £££ spent on it but luckily the guy gave my money back

GTI6BOY

I also run a standard vts crown wheel

ra11ygeorge

Balls.

Do you think it would be possible to fill the holes with weld and re machine the standard P.C.D. bolt pattern or will I.D. of the normal crownwheels be the wrong size?

The full box was only £500 and its got a full PTS gear kit in :(

welshpug

gear kit I can't see why you wouldn't be able to swap to a standard BE1/3 pinion and use a more conventional diff.

or just run it as it is, its a 4.78 ratio.

Miles

Unless its £150.00 or so then I'd look elsewhere, The crownwheel is part of the structure of the diff from memory, Mind last time I saw one of those as said before was years ago

ra11ygeorge

Thanks for your advice chaps.