• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Overhauling The Injection System....

driversdomainuk

Hi All,

I am looking to overhaul the injection system on my 205...I was going to go to carbs, but I want to stick to the original set up.

What are the key elements I should look at replacing on a 25 year old car?

I am thinking:

1. Injectors

2. Throttle Position Sensor

3. MAF Sensor

And then I got stuck - What else should I add to my list?

Putting the "I" back in GTI...

Sorry I couldn't resist.... :P

Cheers

Rob

Edited by driversdomainuk

jackherer

You can get the injectors tested and if necessary cleaned, a user called mad professor can do them.

The throttle sensor is just a throttle switch, they can fail but they don't gradually wear out like sensors do.

It doesn't have a MAF, it has an air flow meter, these do wear out but new ones are prohibitively expensive, if yours is faulty a known good second hand one is the best option, or if you want to spend more money it's best invested in a proper mappable ECU that lets you remove all the original worn out injection (and ignition) parts.

johnhenry

I would Retrack the AFM for a fairly straight forward fix, its not perfect but it sorts a problem if its massively wrong. Damir has a guide on here.

What jack said about the TPS - you hear it 'click' when the throttle body butterfly shuts then its adjusted correctly. not sure its worth replacing due to its simplicity.

for peace of mind I replaced all the fuel hoses from the pump to the injectors as they didnt look too special.

might be worth checking the wiring loom hasnt got an issues with it? Mine had a wire that had become exposed and damaged, not sure if it effected anything but

welshpug

You can get remanufactured afm's from atp electronics, well worth doing.

Anthony

What jack said about the TPS - you hear it 'click' when the throttle body butterfly shuts then its adjusted correctly. not sure its worth replacing due to its simplicity.

The "click" doesn't prove that it's working - you need a multimeter for that.

Typically they seem to fail on the throttle closed side rather than the fully open side. Failing on the fully closed side means that the fuel cut off on overrun doesn't work, causing around a 5-10% reduction in fuel economy, and if it's faulty on the fully open side then you won't get full throttle fuel enrichment, causing a reduction in power/responsiveness.

As with most things, blindly replacing isn't the answer, but rather making sure that parts are working as they should and adjusting/replacing if they aren't.

roccorich

How much do atp charge for an AFM out of interest?

welshpug

No idea currently, I had one 7 years ago!

It was £150 exchange back then, a bargain compared to the £360 a dealer wanted (its £460+vat now, and NFP! )

http://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/

direct link to a 1.9 jetronic AFM

http://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/p/peugeot-205-air-flow-meter-throttle-body-afm-for-le-jetronic-4.html

if they haven't one on the shelf they will repair yours I believe.

Edited by welshpug

AlexRS2782

Getting the injectors tested / cleaned is definitely a good call - made a massive amount of difference when I did mine 2 years back :)

driversdomainuk

Is it worth just buying new injectors? Are they easy to fit and does the car require setting up after?

welshpug

£40 or so to refurb, significantly more to replace.

Fitting is two bolts.