• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rolando

Converting And Fitting An S16 Gearbox

Rolando

hello all, i took my supercharged gti6 engine out over the weekend as i'll be fitting a new rebuilt one.

originally i had a phase 1 306 8v xsi gearbox fitted which i'm guessing uses a pull type clutch? which was good on acceleration but rubbish for dual carriage/motor way driving. i was going to opt for the xsara vts box but they seem to be silly money. i managed to find in my local scrapyard a 306 S16 so had the gearbox straight away. if I'm honest i'm not sure how good the ratios would compare to what i have and if i got a vts box so any comments welcome.

so this evening i went about converting the S16 box to a pull type clutch (i have a brand new 3 piece clutch). trying to get the pin out of the arm is being a complete nightmare so i've left it soaking in WD40 over night and i'll try it again tomorrow with maybe some heat. if not i'll cut it off as i managed to take the old one out of the other box complete.

next dilemma…. i noticed the inside of the diff on the passenger side was different. so i tried fitting the N/S shaft and it wouldn't go in all the way compared to the original xsi box. so my question is can i swap the diffs over or does that just defy the whole point of swapping boxes?

any comments welcome, thanks Ro

welshpug

The 8v xsi used a standard push clutch, just like the BE3 205.

an S16 is a pull clutch as standard, so if you are converting it it sounds like you have got confused as to which is which.

I would not have thought it was that short geared so it might be a 1.6 box...

regarding the diff, that is the usual big BE diff vs small BE diff problem, where the big diff had a shorter splined inner CV on the driveshaft, if the box currently fitted will accept the shafts then swap the diff over.

Miles

You'll find all the detailed info on a search but

Arms are a nightmare to get off, I normally cut them off and buy new, It adds a hole new feel to the clutch if you do this and the £65.00 it costs is well worth it in my book

Diff, This needs to be swapped over along with the crownwheel

S16, Mi16 and VTS ratios are pretty much the same

Got a pic of the box, Scrapyard box rings horror stories of Derv box's

mikeyd

Got a pic of the box, Scrapyard box rings horror stories of Derv box's

well worth it in my book

been there --- had that miles - as you may remember [ one box built out of three ]

Rolando

i did have a search for an hour miles and couldn't find what i wanted. do you change everything? when you cut the old one off? i was going to get the plastic locators but was sure about the rest?

thats reassuring knowing there all similar ratios although theres no guarantee to find out its deff an S16 box is there as i read you posted in someone else thread asking about gearbox codes. the S16 was a rear ended insurance job so hoping its a good box.

heres a couple of pics

43447935_zps08ac41ff.jpg

A4E3333D_zpsc63b5a3d.jpg

2BEEE59E_zps95c99963.jpg

F018C3DE_zpscd8ef267.jpg

thanks for clearing that up about the push and pull clutch Welshpug. is it just as simple as swapping the diffs over between the 2? pretty straight forward job?

thanks for the help

welshpug

very easy yes, remove the speedo drive housing, then diff cover, take diff out, swap crown wheels over, re-fit diff.

beware that the bolts do tend to strip for some reason, though the diff itself has always been fine when I have done it so having new bolts to hand is a good idea.

the clutch arm you have pictured there is a PULL type, it is different to the push type and will not allow full travel if used in the opposite operation, not will it leave the clutch cable at a very good angle.

here's what the push arm looks like.

gearboxswap6.jpg

you also need to swap or modify the top gear selector arm.

Gearlinkagedetail001Small.jpg

Anthony

Reasonably easy way to be pretty sure that it's a S16 or VTS box is to check the final drive - if it's a 4.4 then it almost certainly is.

Diesel boxes and lower spec petrol models will have a longer final drive than that.

Rolando

might sound like a stupid question but how do you check the final drive? ive just steamed cleaned and going to go about changing the diff tonight with seals. will take pics for others to see if its any help.

Anthony

There will be two numbers stamped on the crownwheel, something like "16x65" - divide the big number by the small number to give the final drive ratio.

(that example above is a 4.06 final drive from a 1.6 GTi gearbox)

Rolando

ahh cool thanks. just taken out the one from the 306 8v xsi and it reads 19x72. does that sound about right?

welshpug

3.78, sounds about right.

johniban

sorry to hijack the thread.. but what selecter do you have to swap over the one right on the top? ball pointing upwards?