• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

106 1.1 Rubbing Noise After Driveshaft Change

johnnyboy666

Ive changed the driveshaft on the mrs' 106 1.1 (99 reg) and also had to change a track rod end at the same time as it was shot.

Now when you turn right there's a rubbing noise as if the front right tyre is catching on something, but theres no marks on the tyre or any of the surrounding areas, and nothing else I can see even close to coming in contact with anything else.

theres no rubbing noise going straight ahead, turning left or going over pothole or speed bumps, or speeding up and slowing down.

The only thing I can think of is the flexi brake hose touching the tyre, but when its parked up with the wheel turned its nowhere near.

I'm stumped!

to top it off, I was changing the shaft for the Mot this friday! (and my mrs is less than pleased that shes had to get the train to work this week, which was my fault for starting working on it before checking that I'd ordered the right parts!)

HELP!

welshpug

Have you compared old and new shafts? There is early and late cv type, though the spline fits, the taper against the bearing is different

Slo

new or old driveshaft? also are you sure the tracking isnt out too?

johnnyboy666

that was my initial mistake on the weekend welshpug, got all the way up to starting to put the nut on before realising my mistake and had to order a second one for the correct year!

Its the correct shaft now and is a brand new item.

The tracking is little bit out, which I'll be addressing tomorrow, I did wonder if that could cause the noise but i cant seem to put two and two together to find the contact (if there is any)

johnnyboy666

redone the tracking now (in the dark, what fun)

Still a rubbing noise, I have no clue what could make this noise other than the tyre, which shows no evidence of touching anything!?

Slo

more than likely disturbed wheel bearing chewing up or possibly faulty new driveshaft???

johnnyboy666

Wheel bearing is a possibility, but it just sounds so much like the tyre rubbing. And I'd normally expect more of a constant noise with a dodgy bearing.

johnnyboy666

Dont think its the shaft as it all felt nice and smooth before I fitted it and its brand new not remanufactured. I could be proven wrong though!

johnnyboy666

and the culprit is...... dead wheel bearing. I must say ive not heard a wheel bearing make that kind of noise before.

And the cause was in fact the driveshaft, I somehow ended up with the wrong driveshaft a second time, so I'm assuming there must be three types of shaft rather than the two I thought there were. The second one I fitted was quite different to the first, and after seeing them side by side in the light, its quite obvious. Serves me right for trying to work in the dark! I did check with the seller first that this second shaft was definitely right, and they said it was, so i've had a bit of a moan at them via email

Thats the last time I try and bloody fix anything!