• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

A Strange Problem With Gti-6 Engine Build

cybernck

A friend has just finished building a GTI-6 engine, based on S16 block and crank with everything else from a GTI-6 engine.

The block, crank and bearings have already been rebuilt and running as a standard S16 engine prior to this engine build.

Then he swapped the rods and pistons for GTI-6 items and put a rebuilt head with manifolds and complete engine

management from GTI-6, as well new oil pump and all other essential engine rebuild parts - everything done right.

However, to his surprise - it stars up fine but it runs very rough and there's a loud rattling noise coming from the head.

Also, oil pressure seems to be very low or non-existent (but probably just very low, as the engine hasn't seized up yet),

either because of the rattling problem or it's the other way round.

What's most likely to be the reason for this and what should he look into first? He suspects either dead hydraulic lifters,

camshaft clamps or the camshafts themselves. But could it be something bottom-end related, such as the oil pump?

Please help with any constructive suggestions... or even wild guesses, if that will help lead us to the solution.

Thanks.

allanallen

Rattling or lifters tapping because they're not filling due to lack of oil pressure?

Is the oil pump sprocket keyed to the crank or clamped? Could the bottom pulley be loose?

What head gasket did you use? Possibly a blocked oil way? Although you'd probably still see good pressure on the gauge.

Is the pressure gauge working properly, have you swapped or checked that?

Just guessing really

sale_gti6

head gasket is metal for gti 6. pressure gauge working,at 4000 rpm oil presure is 2 bar,at idle 1bar or lower.

welshpug

so the low oil warning light is illuminated at idle?

sale_gti6

i don't know that because warning light isn't connected yet,probably yes

welshpug

are you checking oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

sale_gti6

I will check that first,but that part of loom (oil pressur gauge) is from previous engine loom and it should be ok.

cybernck

Pretty much the same line of thinking as ours so far :).

The point we're stuck at is:

1) If there's really low oil pressure - what's most likely to be causing it?

2) If the pressure is fine - what's causing the horrible rattling noise & feel?

Keeping it in the domain of theory at the moment, as he's currently away from the car.

welshpug

I noticed something

"new oil pump"

fit the old genuine peugeot pump, if that's the only thing that has changed in the bottom end it has to be that.

• Like 1

sale_gti6

yes,that is only thing changed in the bottom end!

welshpug

likely to be that then.

cybernck

That's what I was thinking as well. It's not to be expected, but it is very likely.

Another thing is that the cam clamps have had silicone applied to them for some reason, which could have affected the cams and oil ways I guess?

sale_gti6

Rattling or lifters tapping because they're not filling due to lack of oil pressure?

Is the oil pump sprocket keyed to the crank or clamped? Could the bottom pulley be loose?

What head gasket did you use? Possibly a blocked oil way? Although you'd probably still see good pressure on the gauge.

Is the pressure gauge working properly, have you swapped or checked that?

Just guessing really

what do you mean exactly when you say: "Is the oil pump sprocket keyed to the crank

or clamped? Could the bottom pulley be

loose?"

Edited by sale_gti6

allanallen

I mean basically, is the bottom pulley tight?

sale_gti6

I mean basically, is the bottom pulley tight?

yes,it is,and oil pressure was normal before changing oil pump. I didn't touch crank puley or something else on bottom end,just changed oil pump.

allanallen

yes,it is,and oil pressure was normal before changing oil pump. I didn't touch crank puley or something else on bottom end,just changed oil pump.

Ahh sorry, thought it was a complete rebuild?? So you never even removed the timing belt to fit the pistons and head?

sale_gti6

Ahh sorry, thought it was a complete rebuild?? So you never even removed the timing belt to fit the pistons and head?

No,no,it's misunderstanding. I was complete rebuild xu10j4 engine a few months before this conversion to xu10j4rs. xu10j4 engine is working normally before this conversion. oil pressure was good and everything else...

Now I'm just replaced S16 pistons,conrods and head with gti 6!

sale_gti6

I noticed something

"new oil pump"

fit the old genuine peugeot pump, if that's the only thing that has changed in the bottom end it has to be that.

Is the oil pump same on S16 and Gti 6? Is there any difference in pressure?

welshpug

different part numbers, same pressure, gti6 has a small baffle plate on the bottom.

not sure if they flow differently.

Edited by welshpug

sale_gti6

Problem solved! I forgot to mention that I'm put oil cooler on my gti 6 engine,and this was the reason why he lost oil pressure... It was necessary to narrow hose. For now, I removed the oil cooler. Another problem,tapping sound from the head is also solved. One hydraulic lifter dead.

Thank you all for your help!