• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rolando

What Clutch For An Engine Of 350Bhp Plus

Rolando

i'm looking for a clutch for my supercharged 306 gti engine running a 306 S16 gearbox.

i'm not sure what makes to go for, paddle clutch or fast road? some people said i should get a helix paddle clutch plate like this..

http://www.performanceclutch.co.uk/20ltr-s16-111993-1996/76-5106-2009278-240341-590129.php

and then i'm assuming you'd use a standard, clutch cover and bearing?

nothing seems to come as a 3 piece set so will it be a case of mix and match?

any help or advice would be very appreciated.

thanks Ro

allanallen

I'd get over onto the gti6 forum and have a search, there seems to be a lot of people destroying various clutches (helix included) of late on charged 306s.

Rolando

yeh but their all using the gti6 box which is the push type rather than the pull on 205/306's....

dcc

the only difference is the pressure plate - the clutches will be the same.

I hated the paddle clutch i fitted to my bodied car, as soon as I went back to a standard clutch I was loving it. Might be worth looking at a diseasle clutch, see if it will withstand the torque.

Batfink

You need a proper race clutch like a twin plate version. There's not high enough demand for companies like helix to make single plate ones to cope with forced induction.

Kev-G

yeh but their all using the gti6 box which is the push type rather than the pull on 205/306's....

Is it not only the release bearing which differs?

Pressure Plate and Cover are the same IIRC.

welshpug

no, pressure plate is the cover and works quite differently! its only the friction plate that is similar.

Tom Fenton

Contact SPEC clutch in the USA, I bought a clutch from them which they say was good for 350ftlb whilst still being street useable. I haven't tried it yet but they were very helpful.

Anthony

If there is an off the shelf solution that the 306 boys are successfully using, one option would be to convert your gearbox to use a pull-type clutch and use what's available and presumably proven (given there's a fair few high boost SC'd 306's around now).

Quite easy and straight forward to swap, and parts very easily/cheaply available (seeing as everyone is doing the opposite when using VTS etc gearboxes in 205's).