• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kernowjoe

Yellow Headlights Legal?

kernowjoe

I know you see a lot of vags with yellow headlights but is it legal, and how would you make yellow headlights on a 205 with as little as possible afect on headlight performance, as can't find anywhere to buy them pre made

cRaig

The easiest way would be yellow bulb covers, or yellow bulbs, such as these glass covers below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yellow-cap-for-H4-car-light-bulb-french-style-/280717340043?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415c0ead8b

People have also put a Laminx yellow film over the outside of the headlights http://www.lamin-x.com/

As for the legalities of it, my understanding is that yellow headlights are legal, but it would be worth confirming from a more offical source

stef205

i have yellow headlight bulbs, i havent been stopped, I should add yet!

kernowjoe

more the yellow lense look I've got in my head.

think I'll have to pick up a spare set and have a go with some film, although that place don't do peugeot sets

Daviewonder

I used the yellow bulb covers on my 205. I had to get higher wattage bulbs though as the standard ones were pretty dim with the yellow covers. I'll also add that I don't believe the higher wattage bulbs were strictly road legal.

gri005.jpg​

Edited by Daviewonder

stef205

i also tried the covers weren't that effective, in the end i bought some yellow coloured 55w bulbs absolutely ace in fog. :)

welshpug

afaik the original option in france was to have a yellow cover the same as Craig linked to, rather than a yellow headlamp glass, the driving lamps and fog lamps were similar, in that I think they had a yellow covering on the reflector not the glass also.

Mac Crash

more the yellow lense look I've got in my head.

You can also apply a yellow liquid coating, the one I used was applied by brush, it's definitely effective - done this to my Bike many years ago so you should find it available somewhere.

cRaig

afaik the original option in france was to have a yellow cover the same as Craig linked to, rather than a yellow headlamp glass, the driving lamps and fog lamps were similar, in that I think they had a yellow covering on the reflector not the glass also.

Yeah, the OE yellow driving lights (6205 74) have a yellow reflector, rather than glass. And there are no yellow headlights are listed on service box, just a yellow H4 bulb (9682 60) H4"GOLD" 12V60/55W, so thats my plan to match my yellow driving lights is put some yellow bulbs in :)

rugd.th.jpg

Edited by cRaig

chipstick

Traffic police may not have an issue, but not so sure about the fashion police.

• Like 1

TooMany2cvs

afaik the original option in france was to have a yellow cover the same as Craig linked to, rather than a yellow headlamp glass

Yep, a yellow plastic willy-welly over the bulb itself for Halogens, a yellow coating on the bulb for the older tungsten ones. Does take a noticable chunk out of the illumination, though - on my ol' CX GTi, 100/80w yellows gave about the same illumination as the normal 55/50w.

Painting the lenses yellow is the good ol' 1970s "We've been to France for our hols!" look. Just add the green "Nothing to declare" sticker to the windscreen of Dad's Mk4 Cortina, and you've got my childhood in a bottle (bought from the AA shop at the docks)...

• Like 1

jackherer

That's UK law from 1989. European harmonisation occurred in 1992 and overrides it. If you have them fitted from prior to 1992 they are legal but you shouldn't fit them now.

Lan

as above, if they were factory fitted its fine, if they came with white headlamps then they must be fitted with white headlamps.

2052NV

Does anyone have a link to the yellow bulbs and are 205 headlmap bulbs H4??

Para

as above, if they were factory fitted its fine, if they came with white headlamps then they must be fitted with white headlamps.

No Cop will know what model came with what colour of lamps... For example the same GTI's from the same year came out with two different colours of spot lights depend of the country.

Mac Crash

Does anyone have a link to the yellow bulbs and are 205 headlmap bulbs H4??

Yes, the 205 is equipped with H4 halogen bulbs - ebay sells the yellow bulbs