• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Malc

Throttle Bodies Or Supercharger? - Fast Road, Occasional Track, Toy

Malc

Hi all, just looking for thoughts and advice. 205 currently running a standard gti6 engine and 6 speed box, bilsteins group n shocks, 309 beam and bones, 24mm ARB, quaiff diff, 206 GTI180 brakes etc etc, looking for more useable power, but definitely not a turbo. Am considering either a lynx supercharger low boost, or lower final drive, cams and bodies, honestly what would be the best overall fast road and track car, I know that both options will cost £3.5-£4k, therefore I need advice from those who have done either, bodies sound great and charger is mad for power, but really what is best for the real thrilll of driving. Help please as the burning hole in my pocket is considering a cheap 996, as is the wife!!! but I know the 205 will be a better bet. Or will it!!!

Ams

Can't answer your question but nice to know there's another 205 with similar spec in Glasgow. B)

Malc

Hi thanks for reply, yeah it's a great motor, 3rd 205 and built from scratch myself, I used loads of info from the website, must say a helpful bunch of guys

Got so far without asking advice, but now as looking to spend so much i really need more help.

You ever up knockhill?

Simes

Bodies Are fun and make a great noise!!

Doable for 2k ish.

Malc

Yeah but £2k for the great sound and some extra power, or £4k for noise and supercharged power. Need more advice here. Thanks again

allanallen

I suggest you have a go in a supercharged car and a lightly moded bodied car and see which you prefer. I love the power of my supercharged car but my circuit car is getting a modded/bodied mi16. Boost for road, N/A for track IMO

Batfink

Homebrew supercharger conversion -£1500 and 216bhp. Its enough to be seriously rapid.

allanallen

Homebrew supercharger conversion -£1500 and 216bhp. Its enough to be seriously rapid.

That's expensive and down on power to what you can actually do ;)

• Like 1

Ams

Hi thanks for reply, yeah it's a great motor, 3rd 205 and built from scratch myself, I used loads of info from the website, must say a helpful bunch of guys

Got so far without asking advice, but now as looking to spend so much i really need more help.

You ever up knockhill?

Yes with most of my previous cars but not as yet with my 205 since I've not had it long. I'm still working on its fast road compliance and correcting defective work from the previous owner, quite fun actually. :)

PS- It may be better to change the thread title along the lines of "Throttle Bodies or Supercharger?". It'll garner more attention from those with direct experience of both systems.

Mad Scientist

Spend the money on sticky rubber and track days. You'll have far more fun.

Malc

Interested in the home brew charger, would this be using an eaton from a copper s or a Merc? I presume a fair bit of fabrication work required, any more info on this would be great.

I am leaning more towards the charger, been in bodied 205s and brilliant for the track, the sound is amazing. However never had a charged motor so might as well give it a go. my last 205 had the 8v turbo unit from a 406 tweaked to just under 200, loads of torque but not as much fun as the 16v, without the quaiff diff it was useless on the track, ate more tyres than a fat girl eats pies!!!

Anyone in Scotland got a supercharged 205, and looking for a passenger, let me know.

Malc

Yes with most of my previous cars but not as yet with my 205 since I've not had it long. I'm still working on its fast road compliance and correcting defective work from the previous owner, quite fun actually. :)

PS- It may be better to change the thread title along the lines of "Throttle Bodies or Supercharger?". It'll garner more attention from those with direct experience of both systems.

Been there, my last 205 was pretty bodged from previous owners, hence I built this one from scratch, only one way I find to do a job, do it properly first time.

Silly question but how do I change the thread title,

Simes

Silly question but how do I change the thread title,

You can't!

Pm me and I can.

Thanks

stef205

Interested in the home brew charger, would this be using an eaton from a copper s or a Merc? I presume a fair bit of fabrication work required, any more info on this would be great.

I am leaning more towards the charger, been in bodied 205s and brilliant for the track, the sound is amazing. However never had a charged motor so might as well give it a go. my last 205 had the 8v turbo unit from a 406 tweaked to just under 200, loads of torque but not as much fun as the 16v, without the quaiff diff it was useless on the track, ate more tyres than a fat girl eats pies!!!

Anyone in Scotland got a supercharged 205, and looking for a passenger, let me know.

Allen's and mine both use a m45 supercharger from a mini cooper s, i cant really speak for allen's but mine is very "home brew". It consists of a home made supercharger mount made from the xu10 engine mounting and a inlet made from a standard 6 inlet. I see close to around 9-10psi all on standard internals but mapped well by sandy brown.

Here is a link to my thread hasnt been updated to a age but will give you a idea if you are looking to go that way.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=135465&page=1

And a link to allen's

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=95503&page=1

Its very fun to drive and the whine from the eaton chargers is immense! I currently see 40mpg on mine but thats down to sandys mapping :)

Batfink

That's expensive and down on power to what you can actually do ;)

That included an ecu and mapping!

allanallen

That included an ecu and mapping!

Mine too! I'm very thrifty(read tight!) ;)

guffe

Boost it.

Malc

Allen's and mine both use a m45 supercharger from a mini cooper s, i cant really speak for allen's but mine is very "home brew". It consists of a home made supercharger mount made from the xu10 engine mounting and a inlet made from a standard 6 inlet. I see close to around 9-10psi all on standard internals but mapped well by sandy brown.

Here is a link to my thread hasnt been updated to a age but will give you a idea if you are looking to go that way.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=135465&page=1

And a link to allen's

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=95503&page=1

Its very fun to drive and the whine from the eaton chargers is immense! I currently see 40mpg on mine but thats down to sandys mapping :)

Hi thanks for the info, both treads are great and definitely gave me some ideas, now searching for an m45 eaton charger, going to look more into this and start the project in the winter months, still some dry weather to enjoy before I start pulling my motor apart.

Regards the noise, any more updates on quieting down would be great, I am trying to keep my car as inconspicuous as possible.

stef205

Hi thanks for the info, both treads are great and definitely gave me some ideas, now searching for an m45 eaton charger, going to look more into this and start the project in the winter months, still some dry weather to enjoy before I start pulling my motor apart.

Regards the noise, any more updates on quieting down would be great, I am trying to keep my car as inconspicuous as possible.

dont buy a eaton charger :lol: there not quiet bmw used a series of pipes and air boxes to quieten it down. As regards to buying one ask for detailed photos of the rotors/blades i learnt the hard way with my first charger! look out for chips in the coating on the blades although some of the later generation didnt have coating.

calvinhorse

What does the coating look like? Matt black or shiney silver?

stef205

im no expert on what coating came with what generation of charger but mine is a 03 charger and it has grey coating.

FD7D0C5C-1C2A-446D-A0AB-91D379BFB4D1-108

allanallen

Later ones have a black coating, it peeks off with age though I believe which isn't good.

As for quietening them down I think a twin throttle body setup like some of the mx5 conversions use is the best bet, still Br noises at full chat though. A decent airbox setup would also help.

calvinhorse

See Allan, mine was coated :P

Malc

dont buy a eaton charger :lol: there not quiet bmw used a series of pipes and air boxes to quieten it down. As regards to buying one ask for detailed photos of the rotors/blades i learnt the hard way with my first charger! look out for chips in the coating on the blades although some of the later generation didnt have coating.

Thanks for heads up, I'm usually the one who learns the hard way!! Will def take that advise. Looking more into this £1500 seems possible, going to get the motor painted first as its still on original paint (1991) plenty dents, scratches etc. will start getting parts together to boost this over the winter, or possibly spring, not in a hurry as I recon this 205 is a long termer.

Quick question, what ecu would be best option, omex or emerald?

stef205

Thanks for heads up, I'm usually the one who learns the hard way!! Will def take that advise. Looking more into this £1500 seems possible, going to get the motor painted first as its still on original paint (1991) plenty dents, scratches etc. will start getting parts together to boost this over the winter, or possibly spring, not in a hurry as I recon this 205 is a long termer.

Quick question, what ecu would be best option, omex or emerald?

That is the million pound question, you need to choose the ecu your mapper is most comfortable with, I chose Omex, mainly for the aftercare etc