• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NFS

Coil Pack

NFS

Hi, i think the coil pack on my xu10 j2te engine has gone, it wont start (again) it has power to the plug and is actaully a brand new plug i put on about a month ago, and yes ive had it started and running fine since, lol

it has power at the coil but has no spark so it leads me to think its the coil pack that has gone, so can anyone confirm that this is the coilpack that i need to replace it with.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300517690208?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

welshpug

it'll fit, however you typically get a misfire or one spark going down rather than the complete unit.

more likely to be a crank sensor or ignition amp failure.

Anthony

Agree with Mei - typically wasted spark coilpacks only fail on one side of the coil, resulting in a misfire on 2 of 4 cylinders, rather than completely failing resulting in no spark on any cylinder.

NFS

so how can i test the ignation amp or crank sensor? anything i can do with a muiltimeter?

PS thanks for the quick replys guys

Edited by NFS

welshpug

depends on its capabilities, if you have a power probe or similar you'll see the trigger wires flashing as an earth when you crank, same as the injectors and crank sensor.

NFS

its definatly a beasty meter, it mesure duty cycle, so if it does what setting do i need and whats the procedure to test it. thanks.

NFS

Bit of an update, last night I replace the plug on the ignition module as it wasn’t in good shape, I had new pins and new plug for it as I was going to do it anyway, replace it and boom it sprang to life, but only for 15 seconds of idle and will not start again, no spark again. Anyone have any ideas?

NFS

bump i need some advice :(

Miles

try replacing the Amp, They are known to fail

DamirGTI

Coil pack check , i do that like this :

4 paper clips or an piece of vacuum hose , one insulated probe

I first unplug all the leads on the CP , insert in the CP terminals paper clips with opened ends so that the tip points out , fit back leads onto/over the paper clips (with the clip ends pointing out , so that i can touch them with a probe) , if using vacuum hose just stuff the lead on top and other end of the hose inside the CP terminal . then start the engine , or crank the engine .. if it doesn't wants to start .

Then i connect the one end of insulated probe on the chassis earth , and with tip of the probe point to the paper clip ends/vaccum hose with the engine running/cranking.

What will happen , it'll create an flaming spark . Now as you back the probe away from the paper clip/vacuum hose tip you'll see that the flame will stretch up to the certain point of movement and then it'll went off - when testing each coil pack terminal individually like this , for good coil pack , the brightens/intensity and distance of the flame movement must be the same on all of them .

If on one or two terminals have shorter movement when you back up the probe , and kinda dim flame as well compared to the other terminals that's a bad CP but it'll still work though the engine will misfire . Dim flame intensity and short movement or none on all 4 terminals , dead CP .

D

Edited by DamirGTI