• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kezzer30

1.6 Cam In A 1.9?

Kezzer30

Hi lads , basically what would happen if i put a 1.6 cam on a 1.9 , would it sap any power or cause any problems ?

Reason i asked is as most know my head gasket has gone and ive sourced an already ready to bolt on head but was for a 1.6 , now we have checked and it the same head as my 1.9 but it has a 1.6 cam in it an graham is a little unsure on what would happen if anything , if uts not going to cause any issues we will just bolt it on but if it is we will have to swap the cams over

welshpug

Just swap the cam over, probably wise to check the valve clearances these days anyway due to wear etc, makes quite a difference to the sound of the engine and running.

How it would alter behaviour I couldn't comment specifically as I've not seen not done that way around, but the opposite makes a very flat slow engine!

table2.png

j_turnell

I've only ever done it the other way round, but i would imagine if anything it would make it feel a bit more lively which is only a good thing on a 1.9 imo. Make sure the cam is in good nick though, the earlier cams suffered with horrendous wear, they had a chamfer around the lobe, the later cams seemed to fair a lot better, post 90'. May have to swap thermostat housings etc around depending on years and how yours is plumbed in, but that's straight forward.