• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

After Some Advice For Next Project (Vag Turbo)

pugpete1108

sorry for posting this on here given ive just sold my 205 and plan on not buying another but there a few on here who know a fair bit and I trust their advice/judgment.

my plan is going forward to build an 20v vag engine rx8

now I want rx8 for its rwd, 4 seats, nice sounds,6 speed box,satnav and a whole host of other niceties but I don't want to have to deal with the dreaded rotary, if I was keeping the rotary I would buy an rx7 instead. and a good strong tunable engine like the 20v is a good be for me.

what im struggling with (and this may be an easy one for most) is registering the engine from an audi 1.8 turbo into a 1.3 rotary rx8? would I need an sva or similar or an engineers report for it? or is it a case of sending off the engine codes and bingo an rx8 with audi turbo engine fitted.

this leads me on to my second problem, ive been offered a bam 225 engine complete for peanuts, peanuts you say... its because it has no engine numbers, as in they have been ground off. the seller assures me it is legit but I have no proof of this.

can I find a scrap bam block and use its identity or is this a big no-no, I know its kind of fraud but is it really the end of the world?

what are peoples opinions of this? mine is too steer clear..... but its a bloody bargain engine (looking at 8-900 notes for one elsewhere) and its on my doorstep.

GLPoomobile

If you put aside the issue of actually registering it for a moment, I guess it depends if you are happy to buy an engine that basically sounds like a gypo special! Alarm bells must be ringing (and not just from the lockup it was stolen from :lol: ).

Didn't the DVLA make their engine registration process more stringent a while back, meaning you now need to send them some sort of engineers report as proof? Or not so much a report, but just confirmation from a garage etc that you are telling the truth.

pugpete1108

I completely agree, I trust the bloke 100% but people don't just remove numbers for no reason do they?

think I kind of answered my own question really.

yeah I had this when I tried to register the gti6 engine in my 205, they sent it back saying I needed verification it was, was it was. so I guess just a letter/report to say its a 1.8 turbo engine not the 1.3 rotary would suffice? oh and some engine numbers too :D

welshpug

wrong engine, you want an LS!

pugpete1108

wrong engine, you want an LS!

ha ha yeah why not?? bit heavy though and would hang way too far over the crossmember.

will have to cut the bulkhead anyways to fit the vag lump further back