• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B11 BOB

Arp Head Studs Do You Really Need Them?

B11 BOB

I am about a few weeks away from completing a engine rebuild on a T16.When mapped I should get around 400 to 450 bhp depending on the power delivery and torque.

I will be running around 24psi approximately.However I am not sure what head studs bolts to go for ARP head studs are around £200 and standard head bolts are £20.I have asked a few tuners this question and have had mixed veiws some say unless your running 40 psi plus and 700 bhp theres no need for Arp head studs and not to waste my money on them.Some say its a must to have Arp studs due to avoiding potencial head gasket problems and that standard head bolts wont be able to handle the boost pressure of 24 psi.

What is the veiw on the above does this application warrant Arp head studs or would standard head bolts be up to the task?

GTI6BOY

I can't comment on turbo power but I know the 306 touring car engines running 300+ use standard pug bolts

• Like 1

welshpug

I heard millingtons run XU10 pattern bolts too, but no idea what spec specifically.

Edited by welshpug

2052NV

if i was building an engine to that higher spec i wouldnt sweat over 180 pounds, its not worth that niggly feeling in your head "is it going to warp/ is a head bolt going to break within 1000km of running??" etcetc. and believe me it will sit in the back of your mind ive done the same in the past and just wished i had forked out that little bit more at the time

Edited by 2052NV

Vili

I would use original bolts. 24 psi compared to 19 psi from the factory doesn't make much of a difference. But then again I have never built turbo engine.

carlh.1

For piece of mind I used arp head studs on mine which is only 300hp, yours is a high powered engine and 200pounds is a lot cheaper then having to change a head gasket soon after building if it does go. The standard bolts might be able to take it but there going to be at the top end of there tolerance

petert

They're great if you're going to rebuild it often..............

B11 BOB

I have decided to get Arp head studs but I am finding it difficult to obtain.Atspeed list them on their website and it says they fit a XU10J4TE ,XU10J4RS but when I asked for confirmation of definate fitting they say they cannot garantee they fit because the info on their website is of Dp and I should contact Dp.I said ill buy them but if they dont fit I would like a refund they refused to garantee they fit or offered a refund if they dont.I asked why do you advertise a product on your site and list it as fitting my application but cannot confirm if it does.They still refused to confirm they fit.So I didnt purchase them.

Pug1off list them as Custom studs but state they come with arp nuts and washers.Rich W did have a few sets months ago but I cannot get in contact with him.

ARP do not list Peugeot Xu10j4te on their catalogue.So where does everyone get these from ?Must be another application that has the same fitment as a Xu10j4te if so can anyone offer some guidance on this please.I dont really want to get anything but a genuine Arp head stud kit that fits my application otherwise I might have to stick with original bolts because obtaining genuine Arp is proving difticult .

B11 BOB

all 16v xu10's use the same bolts, ATspeed really should have known that...

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=142347

see mobile number at the bottom of the post.

Cheers for the link ive got the same Number for Rich w but he hasnt got back to me.Intresting to know that all 16v xU10's use the same bolts.I definitely wont be doing buisness with Atspeed.Do you know any more suppliers of Arp head studs ?

welshpug

Only dp and rich walker, might be worth asking the rallycross guys like the dorans as they run 3-4 bar through xu10 blocks still, liam has a few ds3's.

wicked
The head bolt is same as for the 2.0 Mi16 acc to service box:

0204 A0

- INJECTION XU10J4

- INJECTION TURBO XU10J4TE

There is only a note that you have to remove the ring/spacer 0205 47, so the XU10 arp bolts might fit...

• Like 1

B11 BOB

The head bolt is same as for the 2.0 Mi16 acc to service box:

0204 A0

- INJECTION XU10J4

- INJECTION TURBO XU10J4TE

There is only a note that you have to remove the ring/spacer 0205 47, so the XU10 arp bolts might fit...

Thank you for the info.Do you know where I can get Arp head stud kit from for my application?