• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jameswallace.

Cambelt Help....

jameswallace.

morning. im doing the cambelt on my gti6 engine as its out the car.

iv locked of the cams but I cant find any way of locking off the bottom end. do yiu? or is it just the cams on this engine?? cheers james

Anthony

There is a hole in the crank pulley that you can pin.

However - and this is important - on a GTi-6 the bonded pulley has a nasty habit of slipping meaning that the hole is out of line, and hence using it can be disasterous given the tight valve-piston clearance on these engines. I tend to temporarily fit an 8v lower pulley when doing cambelts, as these are one piece and hence will line up correctly every time.

jameswallace.

the hole on the crank pulley isnt inline with the hole.....

S@m

Then chances are the crank pulley inner/outer have slipped apart (since one is rubber and the other is metal bonded together), so the hole no longer lines up. You either need an 8v pulley as mentioned, lightened solid pulley or a new OE one.

stef205

Locking the crank with the pulley is dangerous as the pulley can slip. Your better off locking it with a 8mm drill bit into the flywheel. There is a small hole in the flywheel bell housing. There should be the auto data information on here somewhere and that will show you the location of the locking hole.

welshpug

Your better off locking it with a 8mm drill bit into the flywheel.

There is a small hole in the flywheel bell housing.

There should be the auto data information on here somewhere and that will show you the location of the locking hole.

There will not be any Autodata info regarding that for the XU10 engine, that hole is only used by the XUD variant of the same block casting, there is no 8mm hole on the XU10 flywheel for a timing pin.

9527105549_e575455462_z.jpg

sickomotorsport

I always mark them with tip ex or a touch up pen, lock the cams as normal.

stef205

There will not be any Autodata info regarding that for the XU10 engine, that hole is only used by the XUD variant of the same block casting, there is no 8mm hole on the XU10 flywheel for a timing pin.

9527105549_e575455462_z.jpg

Strange as every xu10 Cambelt I've done I've locked it this way.