• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Oil On Spark Plug. Hard To Start. Where Does Oil Come From?

Bovien

I have noticeable oil on one spark plug all over the bottom (sparky) end after car has been standing for some hours. It's hard to get it started on all cylinders but after some revs the oily one catches as well.

When warm all runs well (except for some low idle once in a while).

Where does this oil come from and why? Any thoughts?

allanallen

Valve stem oil seals I would imagine, worn out

Bovien

Hmm ok.. I have had that on my other car, a supra. Almost certain test was that it would smoke blue when started and a blue puff when rolling off after a stop light. Oil drained down when on vacuum. Would it be the same here? I've only noticed white smoke at startup (usually just water moist) and nothing when hot. But haven't looked closely

Simes

Warn stem seals Yep, blue smoke on idle normally once warm and then when pulling away.

Bovien

Thing is that I see no smoke at all. No white, no blue, no black...

NFS

is the oil on the tip of the spark plug? how much are we talking soaked in oil?

oh and do you have a cat in your car?

Edited by NFS

Bovien

Yes, cat is on. Turns out that there is just a bit of oil on top of the spark plug, but starting the car has been getting harder and harder. Last time I took the plug out, there looked to be oil on the inside of it as well and the plug was smoking after a few seconds of running the engine.

I also seem to have dissapearing coolant but I have no smoke at all from the exhaust. Really strange.

Anthony

Are you sure the head gasket isn't on the way out? Would explain losing coolant and the engine starting on 3 cylinders...

Bovien

I'm thinking it, but would expect smoke of some sorts...

Anthony

Most XU head gasket failures that I've seen/experienced haven't resulted in either smoke or mayo.

Usual symptoms are losing coolant and pressurisation of the cooling system, together with low compression sometimes, and starting on 2/3 cylinders.

Particularly in the early stages of HG failure, once started the engine will appear to run well, temperatures will be stable and there will be no obvious signs. Once the head gasket failure becomes bad enough, then you'll start seeing noticeable issues.

Bovien

That sounds very spot on.. It was my guess too. The car has been transported to a trusted garage with great peugeot racing experience. If they are to change the HG, I would look into getting the head flowed and maybe another cam as I would love for the engine to pick up a bit more power up in the revs. Would make for a more exciting drive I thing.

Just a matter of how much the HG change will cost and the rest would be worth it...Any experience?

I am - however - thinking about selling the GTI as I've done it quite nice now and it is worth a bit. Soon I won't have anywhere close by to fix the smaller things and it might make the car a pain in stead of a gain. So contemplating a new(ish) Clio RS or Fieasta ST. It's just that they are 35.000£ here in Denmark... The GTi can be sold for maybe 6k£