• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eastlondonpug

Mi16 Clutch

eastlondonpug

Hi

I am doing a mi16 conversion myself and this is very big project from my perspective. I have sourced the engine etc and have removed the 8v engine and gearbox.

I have done a lot of research and am following the guides as per this website. I am going to use the mi16 motronic management and change the wiring loom.

I am going to be using my existing be1 1.9 gearbox. I know this is not probably ideal but I mostly do more miles on the motorway so am not really bothered with the power band issues that some have.

My questions are-

Can somebody please confirm which clutch I need to get to fit my be1 gearbox? is it the bx 16v?

Also, I have another spare mi16 be3 gearbox. Can the existing be1 clutch cable/pedal setup work or do they need to be swapped over for the be3 ones? or is there a quick mod that I can do so that I can use this be3 box using components swapped over from the be1 box?

Thanks for your help.

welshpug

Yup, bx16v (same as1.9 mi) clutch, and to use with a be1 205 box just use a be1 205 release bearing.

Late be1 boxes can have the later be3 type clutch arm and fork installed, there is a pre 90 be3 cable you can use to save changing to a poat 90 pedal, or modifying the pedal.

eastlondonpug

Thanks, will order the clutch tomorrow and investigate the clutch arm.

jackherer

You really don't want to use a 1.9 box on an Mi16, it will be really boring to drive and not much better than the 1.9 8v engine you are taking out.

If you do motorway miles use an Mi16 'box. That's what the Mi16 engine came with in 405s and BX16vs and they were designed to drive down motorways all day every day.

Whereabouts in Essex are you?

Anthony

Agreed - the 1.9 GTi box on a 1.9 Mi16 really isn't a good match. It will feel OK in isolation, but it's much more spritely and "alive" feeling with either a 1.6 GTi or Mi16/S16/VTS gearbox fitted.

eastlondonpug

Thanks for letting me know re the 1.9 box. I do want to use the mi16 box if possible and easy.

I am a bit confused. I tried having a poke around this morning but was unable to figure out what to do. As per welshpugs post, am I correct in understanding that I can use the same be1 pedal and a different cable (pre 90 be3 cable) to use with the be3 mi16 box? If so can someone be kind enough to specify exacly which cable this is?

I am in Ilford. I am not a professional mechanic (just using a friends help) so some questions might sound amateur.

Thanks

Anthony

If you're going to be fitting a BE3 gearbox, then by far the easiest thing is to just fit a BE3 pedal, and then use a regular off the shelf BE3 cable that all 1990-onwards GTi's had.

The cable that Mei is talking about that combines a BE1 pedal and BE3 clutch fork is very rare - I've never knowingly seen one, and most places other than Peugeot and Motaquip do not even list it - and thus to me it doesn't strike me as sensible fitting that to your car and then potentially having problems sourcing a replacement in the future.

The BE3 clutch pedal is easily available used and a doddle to change - it's just a single nut and bolt from inside the footwell. Why make life complicated?

• Like 1

jackherer

Lucky I reloaded the page, that's exactly what I was about to type :lol:

You'll be able to post a wanted ad on here for a pedal soon.

petert

I make an adjusting nut from hex steel stock which lengthens the BE1 cable by approx 50mm. Also a doodle to fit. Maybe that's what you're thinking abuout.

rallysteve

I have previously ordered all of the BE3 clutch cables from Motaquip and they all have the BE3 pedal attachement.

As said above just get hold of a BE3 pedal from another GTi or diesel model.

Steve

eastlondonpug

Thanks, I am currently speaking to someone to get the be3 pedals and cable.

Anthony

Buy the cable new - they're not much money (less than £15) and then you know that it's good for years.

Motaquip are where I buy mine - they supply the same OE "Dura" branded cable, but considerably cheaper.

welshpug

its not specifically a BE3 pedal, its a post 1990 pedal, same as used on an MA box.