• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tunnicliffe

Gear Ratios

tunnicliffe

Hi anyone tell me if I used the right 5th gear have be3 box with 14/62 final drive 13/38 1st 20/37 2nd 25/34 3rd 29/31 4th 37/32 5th I aimed to get a long first gear with all the rest close together last time I used 37/28 and it didn't seem right when going from 4 to 5 or know any better gears to use I'm no good at maths and ratios that's why I counted all the teeth cheers

Anthony

That would make 5th the standard 0.87 from a GTi gearset, which is as I understand it the shortest commonly available BE 5th option.

Combined with your 4.4 final drive, that should make for a pretty short 5th.

The longer 5th's from Mi16, diesel etc gearboxes are 0.76 - or in other words, a much bigger jump from 4th to 5th.

tunnicliffe

Thanks that's where I went wrong last time then with a big 5th is there a bigger first that I could use I thought the one I used was an mi as I used 4.4 final drive and 1st from mi box?

PeterGriffin

I've been looking at this also - never considered the longer 1st, makes sense I suppose as 1st is pretty useless on an mi16.

Has anyone tried the 5th from a derv? It looks quite a drop looking at the figures, but with a strong engine I figured it might be liveable?

pug_ham

Has anyone tried the 5th from a derv? It looks quite a drop looking at the figures, but with a strong engine I figured it might be liveable?

The longer 5th's from Mi16, diesel etc gearboxes are 0.76 - or in other words, a much bigger jump from 4th to 5th.

:rolleyes:

Same ratio as the Mi16 gearbox @ 0.757 found on the diesel.

g

petert

I would use 35/28 from the Mi16x4 box. You don't notice the gap between 4th and 5th and still gives respectable revs at cruise.

Crescent205

I would use 35/28 from the Mi16x4 box. You don't notice the gap between 4th and 5th and still gives respectable revs at cruise.

I agree there, i use that on a spare rally car box i have and its excellent on fast rallys like epynt etc.