• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Sealing Gti6 Cam Covers

shalmaneser

It's annoying!

What are people using to do it?

welshpug

RTV if required.

DamirGTI

Blue "Hylomar" , or any other brand blue non setting sealant works really good .

D

rallyeash

Or change to 406 16v Plastic cam covers which a seal is available for.

stef205

Imo they never seal correctly if the original rubber seal is missing.

crossflow

You can machine the covers so that you can seal them with silicone. I've done it to a few now with no problems.

Caddyshack

You can machine the covers so that you can seal them with silicone. I've done it to a few now with no problems.

What do you do? I assume you machine them down to reduce the gap and make it a friction fit?

I used a pressurized canister of gasket maker from halfords and used a 4 mm bead which bridged the gap....interested to see how you would machine down and where?

welshpug

There are raised parts to prevent the cover from squashing the bonded silicone seal, machine these and create a metal to metal joint one would assume.

Sandy

The plastic cover can only be used on the XU7/10 heads that were supplied with them, bolt pattern is different on the RS sadly; one of the reasons I favour the base model heads, I hate the RS covers! If the original seal has been damaged or removed, you need to machine them flat really, the thick gap fill needed is really dodgy with normal sealants, I've done it with polyurethane primer and Sikaflex before, which is great until they need to come off! If you're ever likely to need to check/adjust the cam timing (properly), you'll probably grow to hate the RS alloy covers as much as me.

damo

I'm sure Unipart do these still as pug don't any more. give them a call as I was surprised what they did for the engines that you can not get direct from pug any more.

Worth a punt, see how you get on.

welshpug

I higly doubt they do, its a bonded silicone type seal only ever availabke with a cover, same as the tu5j4 and the es9 engines, thankfully later engines did change to a plastic cover and replaceable seals, unfortunately as sandy mentioned not compatible with the rs head.

crossflow

Yes I machine down the high point so that they sit flat on the cam boxes. Normally take 2hrs machining. Also it's easier to get them powered coated when there no seal on them