• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
surfer69

Starter Motor 205 1.9 Gti

surfer69

Hey everyone,

Silly question but could anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to remove a starter motor from my 205..While I'm on the subject is there a refurb kit out there for starter motors.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Anthony

Easy enough job, and despite what the Haynes manual claims, it can be done without removing either the inlet manifold or radiator.

It is easier with the later "slimline" starters than the original "fat body" starters, particularly if the bracket is still attached to the later.

You can get starters overhauled, but if you've an earlier fat body starter then I would strongly suggest binning it and instead fitting a late slimline Valeo starter (as found on late 90's 306's, 406's etc) as they're typically far more reliable and tend to perform better as well.

dcc

its 3 bolts to remove it from the bell housing, and if it is an original item, it will need a bracket removing from behind it. in my opinion, you should remove the inlet and all the induction hoses, so you can see what youre doing. most people just fit a later XU stater motor, a slimmer body type which are known for being longer lasting, lighter and less likely to fail as being a new design.

surfer69

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Tom Fenton

Yes technically its possible without removing inlet or radiator, but this is only really true for those with experience who know and understand where the various brackets and wiring connections are. For someone who hasn't done it before I agree with above and recommend you remove the inlet manifold.

pugpete1108

ive got a slim valeo starter here if you need it?

check my for sale thread for prices/ pictures

pete

surfer69

Pete,

Mine is a 1.9 gti on a H plate(1990)..do you know if the starter will fit straight in?

jord294

Pete,

Mine is a 1.9 gti on a H plate(1990)..do you know if the starter will fit straight in?

I'm pretty sure the slimline starter can be fitted to most xu engines.

I've just fitted one to my mi16. Hell of an improvement in cranking speed

pugpete1108

Mine was off an xu7 but I'm sure it's the same bolt pattern etc.

It bolts to the box anyway so should really make a difference what engine it is.

Let me know if you want it?

Anthony

Only difference in terms of fitting on the late slimline starters is that they use a ring rather than spade terminal for the solenoid wire.

surfer69

Anthony,

Is that easily got around?

dcc

Yes. Snip off old spade, soldier/crimp on new ring to the wiring and job done.

surfer69

Cheers gents,

Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for your help.