• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Danny205GTi

Old Wiring Loom? Any Ideas?

Danny205GTi

hi everyone, I bought a 205 with gti6 engine half fitted, have since finished most of the project with the useful info from on here although now I seem to be a bit confused, I have the gti6 wiring all in the car but I have the old wiring loom still in the engine bay complete with positive battery clamp, I thought that this would have to be cut out but looking at it closer I am sure this is power for the engine fan, coolant switch and also powers the little black box that bolts to the front panel, also looks like it may have connected to the old 1.9 starter and alternator, would all these items need to be bridged into the new gti6 loom? any help much appreciated as I don't want to turn the key and watch all my work go up in flames!!

Simes

The power to the rad fan is completely separate to the engine loom, it is stand alone.

Keep the 'shunt box' (little black box) that's where the fan motor is fused and also where you can tap in for more 12v+ power.

Danny205GTi

I worked out that the black box is a power distributor and that I can leave the fan connected via that part of the loom, the concern I have is with the other wires that I think are for the old 1.9 alternator and starter motor, will I need to connect these back up to the gti6 alternator and starter? or do I cut these wires out the loom, also from what I have been told there is also a plug for the old 1.9 air flow meter?

anyone know of a wiring diagram or perhaps a particular build thread that I can sort this bit of loom?

Danny205GTi

ok, bit of an update, think I have sorted the wiring issue out although when I was finishing connecting everything up I noticed that there is no connection for the cooling fan???? could this have been on the old 1.9 loom? does it connect into the distribution block on the front panel? where do I wire the fan to so it will work as it should with the radiator switch? confused???

suppose these are the problems I am going to come across finishing off someone else's half finished project!

jackherer

The cooling fan has a separate loom, made up of just four or five wires.

It gets power from the shunt box and doesn't connect to any other loom, it goes straight to the fan via the rad switch and low speed resistor (big metal cylinder).

Danny205GTi

would anyone have any pictures or point me in direction of a thread so I can see what I am needing?

dcc

Funny enough I have this exact loom sat on the floor of my 205 as I don't need it now my fan is ECU controlled. Sadly I can't photo it as I am away until Monday. If you still need one then, I'll offer it up for sale :)

jackherer

Its worth noting that fan looms changed in about 1990, the connector for the rad switch is the only difference though.

Simes

If you need a rad loom I have one, it is plug and play.

£15 delivered.

Danny205GTi

the wiring loom for the fan etc, what does it look like as I have found a load of wires tucked away near the front panel, on it I have the rad temp sensor plug (blue) plug for the fan (white/grey) and also a cylinder approx. 3" long?

Bit more of an update I have powered the car up tonight, all lights on dash and she turns over, didn't start it fully as would prob have upset the neighbours, I shall see what tomorrow brings!

Hopefully a running 205!

jackherer

That is the fan loom, the cylinder is the low speed resistor.