• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

Inner Cv Joint Tripod Help

Kane

Hi,

Recently I removed a 1.9 engine from the 205 to make way for an mi16 lump. As this is my first experience with 205's I was unaware of the setup of the tripod cv joint and have unfortunately been left with a tub of about a million splines and a whole load of cv grease.

I have had a search and have found that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that supplies replacement tripod's meaning I'll have to go and replace both driveshafts, is this correct?

It seems like it would be a bit of a ball ache to try and clean them all down and build them back up, has anyone tried this before? If so is there anywhere where you can pick up replacement splines as I'm fairly sure a few have been lost during the disaster.

Cheers

Kane

madspikes

I think the sensible option would be just to get another shaft.

Kane

Yeah it does seem that it would be the easiest option.

Do you know of any suppliers that stock replacement items?

welshpug

Any motorfactor.

Anthony

... but check it carefully, as all too often replacement shafts are sent out with the incorrect part inside the box.

For that reason, I would strongly suggest not handing over your old shaft for exchange until after you're happy that the new one is correct and is fitted and working, otherwise you'll have nothing to compare it to. Bit of a pain if the motor factor isn't local, but well worth the hassle of an extra trip for the amount of agro it'll potentially save having a known correct shaft to hand to compare against!

Kane

Ok thanks for the advice. I've read on the forum that the shafts can have two different ways of retaining the tripod depending on what phase the car is, one with a clip and the other with knocked down splines. Are the driveshafts themselves the same apart from this and are they interchangeable?