• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

1988 Cocktail Xu 8Valve

ALEX

Anyone who might have caught wind of my restoration project http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=139692&hl=

Err... well the engine was a bit of a cocktail of parts that were better than the wreck I bought.

In short:

It has a D6E block (later eccentric type) identical to the un-indetified holed block I replaced (but with extra bosses to accomodate the more common spring tensioned cam belt) but this is now fitted with the 1988 original head, though this could have been swaped with an even erlier type before I bought it?.

The pistons and crank are from the original engine which had no identification. so it could be an early 180A head.

This head had samller inlet valves to the D6E I robbed the block from (apparently a 1.6 gti) but the D6E doner had a very worn cam so I used the block with the original head as I'd spent money on a skim and the valves re-cut.

The ECU (original I think) ECU says 0 280 000 340

The AFM (original I think) AFM is 0280 202 056

The engine runs but I cant get the CO2 reading bellow 6.8! on my gas tester, the AFM screw is fully out, (in fact it gose so far then the readings don't change)

what do I need? other than a programable ECU?

The injectors ars giving more fuel than what is needed but I'm at the limit on the AFM!

Edited by ALEX

welshpug

check/change the coolant temp sensor.

D suffix engines are 1.9, 1.6 are B.

so what have you made? a 1.9 or a 1.6?

340 ecu is a 1.6 item, as is the 056 afm

ALEX

so what have you made?

Not sure exactly, I'm supprised it runs at all TBH :unsure: it looks good though :P

D suffix engines are 1.9, 1.6 are B.

Sorry keep getting that mixed up the block is a B6E

The head is assumed the original and depends if the previous owner had it swapped at some point.

It also has much smaller inlet valves about 38-39mm to the B6E doner, which had 41-42mm inlets.

Would this be a cause for concern? do I need an older AFM as the one I was given with it was "recently just fitted to get it to run" (I bought it as a non runner with no MOT) He gave me the old AFM but it has the cover missing. edit : comming back to me now the AFM isn't the original one

Almost cooked the engine last night as the radiator fan switch wasn't making contact.

Can you still get the connectors inside the 3 pin plug as they're rusty. Fiting seperate spade connectors would end up getting mixed up, as I often remove things without taking note.

I'll check the temp sensor, good call.

Edited by ALEX