• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

205 Oil Filters - What's Best?

Henry Yorke

There has been much talk over the years of the genuine Peugeot Purflex filters being the best for a 205 as they have a non return valve in them and this helps build oil pressure. I know as a fact that my brother had low oil pressure showing on a 1.9 GTI after he had put new shells in it and swapped the filter and it shot up, so there is something in this mythical valve.

Peugeot used to sell these as par 1109 T0 and that has evolved over the years to 1109 N2 and now 1109 AP. These are becoming more scarce to get hold of now with variations for sale with 1109 T1 etc on eBay

People have also taked about Mann filters having the non return valve in and some Halfords one not. I was given a Wix filter by my local factors today and comparing it to my old 1109 N2 filter, I could see the return vale in the Peugeot filter and not in the Wix one.

So I started looking on the Wix website as they have a catalogue where you can type in the original part numbers and see the specs

1109 T0/N2/T1 all came up with the same replacement part of 51381 - http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/InterchangeMultiSearch.aspx?q=1109n2|1109T0|1109t1|1109AP&o=me

This didn't seem to match the filter that I had been supplied though, where they had taken my reg and looked it up on the systems.

The spec shows a Bypass vale setting of 13-19, whereas the filter I had been supplied (and it fits fine) showed a setting of 21.

I am guessing a higher pressure for bypass is a negative, so I will be returning it.

I have also been told that there are some cheap white service options from dealers as well. Are there any real differences in these from the boxed ones?

Regards,

Henry

farmer

Henry

Remco tells me in Belgium that he gets offers from Pug for the 1109 AP filters from time to time still so must be still sold.

allanallen

I generally use coopers fiaam, as that's what my local factors supplies, they have the non return flap. Can't see how they would improve oil pressure though? Thought they just stopped oil running back through when you switched off? That way the oil pressure builds quicker on start up.

Simes

Henry

Remco tells me in Belgium that he gets offers from Pug for the 1109 AP filters from time to time still so must be still sold.

You can still buy them from the supermarket local to my parents in France.

• Like 1

farmer

In for a ready meal and filter.

Says he gets up to 70 % off will mention on the forum when an offer is there

welshpug

Nothing wrong with the superseeded part numbers, they are longer life units, hence the higher cost.

Youll note that the oil service intervals changed from 6k to 10k iirc, when the new filters were introduced on xu and xud's.

S@m

1109AP is stil available from all dealers but its worth noting that it is no longer made by Purflux, they are now made by MecaFilter. Just use 1109AL instead.

wicked

Does the 1109AL has the valve as well??

welshpug

yep.

Henry Yorke

I was told by a Peugeot dealer today who knew these engines not to get the 1109 AL one....

So I went into a Peugeot dealers the other side of Sheffield today looking for any T0/N2/T1/AP's and failed. They said a cardiff dealer had 40 AP's in stock and they could get them delivered. So I tried the Citroen dealer across the road and they had none :(

Handily Eurocarparts was pretty close so I went in with my old 1109 N2 and asked for one of those. They brought me a Crossland one which had no valve in, so I explained and he said there were some "Premium" ones showing on the system, so I asked him to bring them out so I could have a look.

Here are some pics to make a definitive reference:

The mythical valve

post-3457-0-91014000-1374272513_thumb.jpg

Peugeot 1109 N2 - Valve

post-3457-0-39105800-1374272385_thumb.jpgpost-3457-0-49287100-1374272220_thumb.jpg

Crossland L10269US - No valve

post-3457-0-07709300-1374272120_thumb.jpg

Gutmann 501 73 5041 - No Valve

post-3457-0-74439400-1374272144_thumb.jpg

Mahle OC976 - Valve

post-3457-0-74684600-1374272169_thumb.jpg

Wix WL7086 - No valve

post-3457-0-30532500-1374272247_thumb.jpg

So I bought three Mahle ones.

If anyone has any other references, of part numbers with known valves, then please add them below.

post-3457-0-35401200-1374272196_thumb.jpg

welshpug

Cardiff eh? Ill go and speak to jeff then :D

Any reason for not using the later filter?

Henry Yorke

Any reason for not using the later filter?

Availability. I wanted one today and no one had the T1's in stock either and I didn't want to wait for eBay.

Miles

There only 2.80 ish from Pug, very well used Filter even on the V6's

James_K

Has anyone used the Motaquip Vfl344 shortened oil filter (for gti6 engines). Short filters were difficult to find a while ago, I read somewhere these renault listed ones were a good swap. Do these contain the non return valve?

welshpug

they are very very to get hold of, due to the renault fitment.

Tom Fenton

Here is my experience. If you have a 16v head with hydraulic lifters you need the filter with the non return valve to stop the oil draining back. If you fit a filter without the valve the thing will clatter like hell on cold start up. As tested by me on my old 405 Mi16, I now fit a gen filter to all 16v stuff.

If you have an 8v head with solid mechanical lifters then the non return valve doesn't make any difference so one without the valve is OK.

Do not mistake the non return valve/flap with the spring loaded bypass, the bypass is there such that if the filter gets clogged solid then the bypass opens to allow oil to continue flowing around the system to prevent engine damage. However in our cases the filter should NEVER get to such a condition as obviously we all change the oil and filter frequently! The picture above with the cut-away filter with the spring loaded plunger is the bypass.

• Like 1

Ryan

That's what I thought. Isn't the non-return valve the rubber flap that covers the inlet holes? Virtually every filter I've ever seen has those.

Henry Yorke

Do not mistake the non return valve/flap with the spring loaded bypass, the bypass is there such that if the filter gets clogged solid then the bypass opens to allow oil to continue flowing around the system to prevent engine damage. However in our cases the filter should NEVER get to such a condition as obviously we all change the oil and filter frequently! The picture above with the cut-away filter with the spring loaded plunger is the bypass.

So a filter without the bypass valve visible has the potential to clog and stop flow (but as you say you should not get to that point). A higher PSI on the bypass valve means it can just get dirtier before it bypasses.

So what does the non return flap look like? Is it just a silicon / rubber diaphragm over the holes where the oil comes in and not particularly pressure related like the inlet check valve in the diagram below?

oil-pressure-valves.gif

Technically lower viscosity oil will seep past this flap more than a higher viscosity.

If so, then perhaps the original Wix filter I had was perfectly good. I would have thought that keeping any amount of oil in the head is a good thing considering cold starting.

Looking at the pics I posted below, I think they all have a non return flap so the whole thing might be a red herring!

S@m

Any idea why you shouldnt use 1109AL? I had intended using those in my Mi - still got 38 1109T1's in stock though, so they should last me a little while!

BTW, i have a 1109AP here and it has the infamous valve and flap but, as i said, its MecaFilter whereas the T1's are Purflux.

Also i can confim that Motaquip's equivalent VFL208 does have the non return flap, but does NOT have the bypass valve.

welshpug

so basically they're all fine for the oil change intervals we all to run to as they're intended for longer service intervals.

johnhenry

afternoon all

Following a little trip down to a citroen dealer close to me to see if they had any stock of these, ideally the 1109AP, they didnt but they did have the 1109AL. From what Henry said earlier about dealers saying not to get these - out of curiosity i got one, mainly to photograph it for this log of whats good or not.

>Its made by mecafilter

photo_zpsc67d5d04.jpg

> Non return value - YES??

photocopy3_zps94bd07cc.jpg

> Bypass Valve - YES??

8a2ade33-f894-4f47-bd76-aa2264ec04d0_zps

i dont understand why a dealer would say no to using this? :/

RossD

The other thing to consider is the amount of filter medium in the Purflux filters - Far greater surface area due to the way its folded \ pleated. Most other filters have a straight fold, the purflux ones have a zig zag type pleat.