• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PiperCub

Stainless Steel Exhausts

PiperCub

Sometime in the next six months or so I'll need to replace the exhaust on my 91 GTi 1.6. The car is a 'keeper' and basically standard so I'm looking for a standard replacement system but in S/Steel. I appreciate there are numerous performance/big bore systems available but I want to keep it standard (it's superb, original and has only done 38K from new).

I found Powerflow do so-called 'Standard replacement' systems but haven't had chance to check them out - there's a place in Southampton I'm not far from.

Anyone have experience good/bad/indifferent on Powerflow or any other recommendations? I don't mind spending a bit of money (I know decent S/S pipes aren't cheap) on a good system that'll do 10 years+, can be off the shelf or bespoke, will consider them all.

Thanks

welshpug

Miles can sort you out :)

Miles

Southampton Powerflow, well the system I removed from a Mi which was from the DP back was over £500.00, mild steel welds which came from there, The other thing which they get you with is a annual service for the warranty or so the book said what came with the car.

As said I can sort out a system for you by my exhaust man

allye

You still using the chaps in Wilton miles?

I thoroughly recommend torque techniques (spelling!?) in Salisbury, did the custom back box for min in ss, bloody good job.

PiperCub

Miles

So that is a recommendation for Powerflow in Totton then?

I'm looking at about £500 or so? (Pretty much what I expected tbh)

Miles

For the money I would have gone to trading standards personally if it was mine so that should say it all, The thing with these places is most are tyre depots who know nothing about exhausts other than a huge tailpipe and loads of noise, you do get the odd one that knows a little but they are just expensive for what you get.

DanteICE

How loud is the stainless system you sell? With the Mi16 manifold for instance (obviously on an Mi16 engine :D) .

Maybe I should clarify, is it quiet at idle (light rumble) and then louder up the top end of the revs? Or is it more like a racing exhaust?

Edited by DanteICE

PiperCub

I was being sarcastic!!!

I was a bit disturbed by the websiters claims when as you say it's just a pretty normal tyre/exhaust depot. Are the lot at Bournemouth any better?

Miles - don't have the car with me right now - is the bore of the system you're selling the same as standard?

Miles

HI

I would think along the same lines, It's a franchize at the end of the day and staff turnover is high at most of these places and getting someone that knows about exhausts I would stick my money on the lotto.

The systems I do are 2 1/4", but with stainless it will always be louder than mild steel no matter what, even my Race 306 is quieter than my std 306 with the same type of system fitted but of course in Stainless, Thats with 2 huge box's as well

damo

What about long life, my mate had his power flow replaced with a long life exhaust on his mr2 and is very happy. I found them cheaper than power flow when looking my self. I ended up getting a full magnex system but its a little loud. Got a scorpion system the try as the back box is bigger, but I like the look of the magnex with its tail pipe.

S@m

I currently have a powerflow system on my 8v - it was on car when i bought it. I believe it was done by powerflow Carlisle, so thats not much help to you. I will say that the system fits very well, and appears to be in good nick after about 5-6 years, only downside is its ridiculously drony at about 60-70mph so its soon to be changed for a much quieter unit.

I guess what i am trying to say is that a powerflow/longlife or other franchise exhaust is only as good as the particular fitter you get on the day, and they vary wildly as stated above.