• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Ma Box Speedo Cog. Are There Different Ones For Different Boxes?

johnnyboy666

I'm on about the little cog bit that turns the speedo cable round at the gearbox end. Do different boxes have different ratio ones to suit different wheel circumference?

Reason I ask is that my speedo over-reads and I'm looking at ways to get it closer to correct.

current gearbox is from a 106gti (as is the engine)

If it helps, it is out by about 9% ish according to the satnav

Cheers

johnnyboy666

I should probably note, I've seen a few other threads on this subject but they are all for BE boxes, are the pinion things for BE and MA boxes the same?

welshpug

The cog on the diff is not the same design but the pinion is, look on servicebox to find the specifics.

Its a total stripdown on an MA box to change it.

johnnyboy666

I might have not quite phrased myself correctly. So if the pinion is the same, cant I just swap that? that bit comes out with the VSS with one bolt doesnt it?

Looks like this I think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEARBOX-SPEED-SENSOR-PINION-FOR-PEUGEOT-205-309-264913-/220780132298?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33678577ca

welshpug

What I meant was there's possibly a different combination of pinion and cog not just the pinion.

however looking on SB the cog on the diff is the same on the 106 and the 205 so you'd need to check which Pinion you have and try the other one, there's 17 or 18 tooth, 2649 16 and 15 respectively.

johnnyboy666

Oh I get you, I think I've still got the cog off my xs box so I'll check both and see. Cheers for that :)