• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Wetness To Cambelt End Of Engine

chipstick

I was under my car a moment ago sorting my speedo cable and checking over the various new bits I'd fitted to check they were ok and I've noticed some oil wetness which has come back rather quickly.

I had residue around my drivers side outer cv boot and water pipe area and presumed it was possibly CV grease and grime so I changed the bits and decided to as now, check on it.

I didn't initially clean the area up which I probably should have done :lol: but my shaft is soon wet again so the leak must be fairly substantial:

75BFEA88-40E4-4B31-B332-C890D6FE6704-375

Below the crank pulley is moist but not as much as half way up the engine so I wouldn't say it's that

BA5F8461-5E6D-461A-B4AD-025DA557C97A-375

I initially thought cam carriers or covers but they appear ok.

77023F15-92EF-4191-B6E0-3CF0B29E420E-375

Painting it black perhaps wasnt a great idea after all :lol: but it is dry around there although a picture doesn't really show a lot.

I will remove the cam cover over the weekend and shine a light in there to see if I can see a route of the cause. What would people initially suggest may be the cause? I'm hoping it's not something like cam seals - which it could well be? Not really read much about that to be overly common but who knows. Flicking up from behind the crank pulley perhaps?

Toddy

Cam seal

petert

Female engine on heat?

Paul_13

Cam seal by looks of it :(

Whip can belt cover off and all should be apparent pretty quickly.

Is there oil on the belt?

Edited by Paul_13