• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Juttie205

Going From 1.6 To 1.9 Gearbox

Juttie205

My car has a 1.6 gearbox fitted at the moment and when I get round to doing the engine/gearbox work I would like to change back to a 1.9 gearbox am I right in thinking that I will need to change the driveshafts and hubs to 1.9 units but do the uprights stay the same.

Anthony

Providing that it's the same type - ie both BE1 or both BE3 - it's a straight swap from a 1.6 to a 1.9 gearbox with no other changes needed.

The inner part of the driveshafts (the splined end that goes into the diff) is the same on 1.6 and 1.9 'shafts - it's the outer end that's different, along with the hubs (which use the larger bearings on 1.9 shafts compared to 1.6 which are effectively wider track base model)

Juttie205

Ok thanks will have to see what box mine has in it.

Anthony

Easy way to ID....

Lift-up reverse next to 1st = BE1

Reverse below 5th = BE3

Juttie205

Thanks will have a look all I know is the box that's fitted to the car does not have lift up reverse but the gear lever fitted to car has lift up part so I believe that the car needs the correct lift up reverse gearbox fitted.

Anthony

You need to be careful then, as if the car has been converted from BE1 to BE3, it's likely that other parts (clutch cable, clutch pedal) have been changed to suit, and would need swapping back if you were to revert to a BE1 gearbox.

Personally, unless you're insistant on originality then I'd stick with a BE3 gearbox - gearbox and related parts availability is better, and they have a nicer clutch action.