• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Abs Shafts In Non Abs Hubs

allye

Evening all,

So last week I changed the hubs on the 309 from the 306 items to the correct 205/309 items.

Then when I tightened up the hub nut the wheel binds solid, after some deliberating with Anthony it appears I may be to do with the ABS shafts (and I assume why it had 306 hubs on previously)

So just looking for some advice from some one who may have done this, is it as simple as grinding the ABS splines off the end of the shafts?

Many Thanks!

Ali

Tom Fenton

Put some paint on it, offer it up, spin the shaft in the hub and then look where it's rubbing.

allye

Good idea Tom, will give that a try.

Anthony

When I've seen it before, it was just the outer tip of the ABS teeth that fouled and a quick dressing with a grinder fixed it.

As Tom says, a bit of paint should highlight the issue, although you'll likely find that it'll leave an obvious enough mark without. Tighten the hub nut until the wheel still turns but is obviously suffering resistance as something is catching, turn it round sufficiently to ensure there's a mark, and see where the issue is.

welshpug

the guys are on the right track, the hub or CV needs a small amount of material removing as the 406 CV's are more substantial items, I can't remember which bit specifically, but I don't think it was the abs ring itself.

I'll ask George shortly if I remember.

Edited by welshpug

james_pug

V6 shafts? You need to grind abit of the hub off, only a small bit ill see if I have a pic.

allye

Legend James, yep, 406 shafts in the 205/309 hubs. I will take a grinder to it and report back.

I torqued up the hub nuts then tried to turn the hub without wheel with a lever bar on the studs so should have some decent marking where it has fouled.

james_pug

I think I had to take the abs rings off aswell, it was quite a long time ago now but they just knock off easily.

allye

ah, the abs splines are on a ring, that makes it easier.

Pain in the arse as I'll have to refill the bloody gearbox again through the fudging breather which takes an age!

welshpug

jack the one side up as high as possible, should lessen if not stop the oil.

james_pug

You could cut through the abs ring then you wouldn't need to remove the shafts.

welshpug

I wouldn't be so sure about that, most abs rings are machined into the cv...

allye

I was never a fan of the jacking one side up deal, just feals as though you are twisting the car!?

james_pug

I'm fairly sure these are pressed on, it was a while ago though. Ill to poke my head under mine and see if its got abs rings.

welshpug

I was never a fan of the jacking one side up deal, just feals as though you are twisting the car!?

just imagine the forces that happen when you're driving!!!! :o:wacko:

:P

• Like 1

allye

Dont be stupid Mei, I seem to barely drive this one!

james_pug

The abs rings are just pressed on.

Miles

It depends on the SHaft if the ABS rings are pressed on or part of the CV joint. As said you do need to take some off, I remember I hardly took any off the one I did and that was with the ABS ring fitted too

allye

cheers Miles, yer it can't be much to take off as I could still just about turn the wheel with a lever bar when torqued up .

I'm tackling it tomorrow along with raising the rear!

Edited by allye

sub205

A mate just installed the ABS shafts and drove away. For several miles there was a light sound, nothing to worry, and the shafts adapted themselves ;-)