• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monty400k

Which Alternator For Mi16 Conversion

monty400k

Hi, got an 1.9 gti fitted with an Mi recently, the alternator has gone and Im trying to source a replacement, I am unsure whether I should source a standard 8v or go for a 16v unit, spoke to one local motor factor, they have one to suit a 405 mi but its a 50 amp unit, the faulty one in my car is an 80 amp, will this work? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction! Thanks

monty400k

You mean the 50 amp unit will be ok to use, I did ask a mechanic friend who didn't think it was a good idea however I figured people on here might have encountered this before?,I had a look at the 50 amp one, it was identical to the 80 amp except the pulley was smaller, should I swap them over?

Slo

cant you just get yours reconditioned? It will be as good as new almost usually costs circa £60 ish most places. it had an 80 amp cos the car it came from would've needed a power station to run all the electric everything in it

Simes

In the past regardless of current rating the 16v one was longer so we used the 8v one as it was shorter and gave more 'access'.

notamondayfan

Shouldn't the alternator and battery be matched, otherwise you'll knacker your battery in no time?

welshpug

All you need to do is ensure the alternator can cope with the load placed on the electrical system, the standard 70 amp unit works fine.

That doesn't mean "matching" the battery to the alternator.