• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
charlieb01

Help Diagnosing Engine Sound

charlieb01

I started the car yesterday after changing the head gasket and the car being asleep for 6 months and there is a very prominent sound coming from the engine. Could it be a bearing gone or an exhaust leak, there was a small amount of air blowing from the manifold?

DamirGTI

Exhaust leak ...

Grab an rag and stuff it into a tailpipe and hold the pressure with the palm of your hand , if the system is good/sealed it'll blow off the rag off the tailpipe the second you stuff it in and hold it .. if not , then go up front and listen around the exhaust manifold (an piece of toilette paper is handy for checking leaks around exhaust system joints)

Check the exhaust manifold to head joint , and the joint from the manifold to the downpipe i.e. mesh ring for leaks .

Check the exhaust manifold for cracks as well , cos they're very prone to cracking (between 1-st and 2-nd cylinder).

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Slo

And underneath where you cant see it cracking get someone to start it for you while you feel underneath the manifold as it will get hot really fast and you wont be able to keep your fingers near it to tell. Or just get ya phone in there and take a pic, or better still do what i do laptop and decent webcam gives you a superb tool to see where its normally impossible and you dont have to lay underneath either :s