• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Water Leak...thermostat/housing.

scottbarton

When I removed my filter box and pipes to fit the induction kit, it revealed where I am getting a slight leak of coolant.

Took some pics tonight and you can see it weeping on the join where the two bolts are. Tried nipping the bots up but looks like I need to strip it down and clean up before putting back together. Worth salvaging? Clean up, new thermostat and gasket? Or reckon i need a new housing as well if I can get one?

Its been leaking for quite some while if the scale is anything to by.

image_zps283bea03.jpg​image_zps81bfece7.jpg

welshpug

New stat and seal should sort that, and a clean of course.

Take care with the bolts, i had both snap on mine!

scottbarton

Excuse my ignorance but is it a system drain down to change the stat?

The bolts do look look rather crusty! ;)

Anthony

You'll need to part drain the coolant, yes.

Providing the alloy isn't notably corroded then as Mei says, a new 'stat and seal should sort that. There's two different seals depending on the age of the car, but I'm guessing by the fact that it's got the metal cap that it uses the earlier setup, which is two washer-type seals, one either side of the 'stat. A light smear of sealant as a belt and braces approach isn't a bad idea, even if it shouldn't strictly speaking be needed.

welshpug

I used a single piece seal Ant, guess my stat was the later type which is sightly smaller diameter I'd imagine, but its still the alloy cover.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

Must be, as the later single piece seal won't physically fit in the earlier housing (the later seal is a few mm larger than the 'stat as it goes around it, whereas the earlier one is the same diameter as the 'stat)

scottbarton

Crazy.

Just rang Peugeot up to order a new Thermostat and gasket....Stat priced at £10 odd....but they will only sell me a pack of 20 gaskets at more than £30!!! I only need 2!

:o

welshpug

just go to your local motorfactor, I bet it will be even less.

or use a different dealer, try citroen even, same part numbers, I have heard that Maidstone area dealer isn't the best.

Edited by welshpug

scottbarton

£9 from SC Motor Factors complete with seal kit. Happy days.

AlexRS2782

Noticed the same on mine once the filter hoses were off, although not as bad as yours. One of the many things to add to the list for Miles to play with next month :hehe: